Two Internet Connections, Two NICS; How does Windows choose?

gamehead200

Hey guys,

I'll be going off to university in about a month and a half, and I'd like to get a few things straightened out before I leave.

One thing I'd like to know is the following:

I'm setting up a server which I'll have connected to the university's network (with an active internet connection) using one NIC and to another internet connection from a local ISP using another NIC. My question is... How does Windows choose which connection to use when trying to connect to something?

Say, for instance, I'd like to download the latest release of Debian using uTorrent. The university's network blocks all P2P traffic, so if uTorrent/Windows tries connecting through that connection, an error message will probably be returned, however, it will work through the other connection. Is there any way to force Windows to use a certain NIC to connect to the Internet (apart from unplugging the cable out of one of them) or does it usually try to use the first "Local Area Connection?"

I hope I haven't confused anyone... :P

The order is determined by the priority set in Windows. When a network request is cast, it will check each adapter until it gets a proper response in the order of the set priority.

To change your network adapter priority order, you have to go to Control Panel -> Network Connections, then in the Advanced menu, choose Advanced Settings. In the Adapters and Bindings tab, you can set the Adapter priority.

You could try using windows firewall for the network connections.

e.g im running a basic setup at home, and ive got the firewall enabled to divert all internet traffic through my slow nic into the router, then ive got all file sharing and remote desktop traffic going through the faster gigabit link.

So i dont get a slow connection when file sharing basically.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Sarge