Windows Installer Issue

Legolash2o

Ok confirmed this:

Start a new preset (meaning delete last session.ini before starting nlite)

Then select component and unattended page, and in the components page you can go preset - load - preset2 - components

that will remove the components from it same as would preset2.

BUT this works, not a single error.

And then I reload same directory, load whole preset2 (from the preset page) and it breaks the hell out of it...meaning it's not the components it's something else.

edit: btw it's not the integrations, I skipped that when it failed the same.

I presume it didn't work when IE, WMI, nlite.inf...all failed...because setup failed before all of them then they weren't applied. It's a wonder that it works at all.

I don't understand fresh source with IE7...how's that fresh :)

No need to confirm anything, since I got the same errors you do with your preset. Just wait since I have a template for fast testing now.

Becuase it worked perfectly with nothing in the setuperr.logs (except something about sfcfiles.dll not being certified or something like that and couldnt replace it) so that would be fresh n since i want IE7 with it, it would be useful to test it with it lol

Edited by legolash2o

Ok then it's fine. That sfcfiles.dll in the log is normal if SFC kept enabled.

Btw it's not the Options page. Only Unattended and Tweaks left.

Or god forbid a combination.

Ok it's not the Tweaks.

Suddenly it seems logical that it's the Unattended, that was the only thing on all my tests enabled to speed up the testing :\

I never considered it this dangerous.

Checking now.

Btw this thread looks like an IM chat, this isn't how I do things usually but what the hell it's too late now anyway, lets finish this :)

edit: Ahhh it's probably IIS failing.

No since I didn't got your _u part of the preset where the users are.

It's probably the IIS...testing now with it set to Don't Install.

Meaning it was the combination of some component which was needed and this setting :) No wonder it was hard.

lol thats for the WMI, but even when the WMI was working the Windows Installer didnt

BTW ive left a message on another Post "It just doesn't do the job', about limiting the burn speed to 16-20x so less bootable disk problems

Edited by legolash2o

Ok confirmed, it is the IIS install issue.

Now since I got the error even if only Accessories removed that means the problem is that IIS setting alone. It is quite complicated multi entry so it's no wonder, and it's maybe set for Server version only.

So now I finally have a task for you, if it's late you can do it tomorrow.

Try your preset with IIS set to Don't Install. And if setuperr.log is empty then try to install the IIS from the Control Panel. Let me know how it goes.

In the meantime if the Installer fails after all that let me know. But first upgrade the installer to 3.1 or integrate that.

p.s. ok saved your note about the burn speed.