make cab and modify PE

Is there an app which automates the 2 process or at least simplifies them?

i would assume that the simplest method would be to put both exes in system32 and then make a batch handler for them then add it to the send to menu or something similar.

Can someone tell me step by step how to edit the boot screen in windows and get it to work in the iso, this would be great.

varies from version to version, but for 2003 (which i assume you're going for) you need to dump the bitmap contents of ntoskrnl.exe if you have a single core processor or ntkrnlpa.exe if you have a multi core processor.

from then you need to add a 16 bit pallet to the image and then you can edit them easily. remove the pallet when done and then replace the existing resources in your applicable nt*.exe file.

i'm sure that there are apps available which can simplify the process but i can't remember any off the top of my head.

Here it is, MSFN's own: Compression Bin

This utility allows you to drag and drop any file to it's window and have it run modifype and makecab with the LZX compression at it's highest setting (equivalent to the compression used on the Windows CD) on the file.

A Member Contributed Project by jcarle

Don't edit directly THE ntoskrnl, leave it intact.

• make a duplicate copy of the ntoskrnl
  • rename the new copy
  • edit the new copy of ntoskrnl
  • instruct BOOT.INI to use the new copy of ntoskrnl

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Hacked Logo" /fastdetect /kernel=NEWntoskrnl.exe

use that in boot.ini

From my experience, directly editing the ntoskrnl results in crashing the computer - or reverts to using the original, thereby making your changes useless.

Using an alternate kernel is the safer approach, especially in changing the boot logo.