DSL internet

ldb

I am thinking about stopping my cable internet connection due to high cost. I can have a DSL connection that has download speeds of up to 7 Meg. Right now I am connected at 5 Meg with no problems. Any advice anyone could give me while making the switch would be appreciated. I know about all the websites for tweaking the registry settings. I am more concerned about whether anyone else has a connection as fast or faster and if they have experienced any problems and have any suggestions.

thanks

Hi ldb

I use a Thomson Speedtouch 330 USB quite successfully, runs at 7.6Mbps. My system is old - a 266MHz Socket 7 AT PC running Windows 98SE. I've had no real problems. Just take the precaution of using antivirus and a firewall as well as spybot and a anti adware program. CCleaner is good as it cleans out the c**p that windows accumulates.

Hey thanks everyone, I have all the software protection mentioned already. Now my biggest concern is that it seems (no one can give me a straight answer) that I might need to pay for an ISP in addition to paying for the DSL. That would pretty much squash any kind of savings I might have gotten going from Charter cable to Qwest DSL.

Hey thanks everyone, I have all the software protection mentioned already. Now my biggest concern is that it seems (no one can give me a straight answer) that I might need to pay for an ISP in addition to paying for the DSL. That would pretty much squash any kind of savings I might have gotten going from Charter cable to Qwest DSL.

try Verizon DSL or AT&T Yahoo DSL

my brother signed up for AT&T Yahoo DSL last year and they sent us the DSL modem (a 2Wire DSL modem that supports FOUR network connections, meaning I can connect up to 4 PCs with network cables and all 4 of them can use DSL internet at the same time. the 2Wire DSL modem also allows wireless internet connections, woo-hoo!) and instructions to setup the internet service.