Cannot access remote shares via PC name only via IP address

Hi all,

Problem #1: Like the title says, I cannot access my shares located on any server on my home network via the server name only via IP address. All servers are Server 2003 EE. This is only happening on my main PC (Dell PowerEdge SC430 w/ Win XP). All my other PC's it's fine. I reformatted and reinstalled XP SP2 the other night. In addition, I cannot remote desktop to those servers using their name. I have to use their IP address.

Problem #2: Also, on my one server, when I browse to it (//svr-01) I do not get a prompt for username/password. I can automatically see ALL my shares, but I can't authenticate to access any of them (they are all protected). I can map a network drive and "connect as" which then gives me access to all the shares under that username/password. However, upon reboot of my local PC, I lose that connection. My local Win XP SP2 is completely up to date with every update, fix, patch.

I am running Norton Internet Security 2007 w/ all updates as well.

Thanks for the help. :thumbup

From google ...

This behavior can occur if both of the following conditions are true:

1. NetBIOS over TCP/IP is not turned on (enabled) on one or more computers in the workgroup

2. The Computer Browser service is not started or is turned off (disabled) on one or more computers in the workgroup.

Try following these steps to see if fixes the problem.

Step 1: Turn On NetBIOS over TCP/IP

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Network and Internet Connections.

2. Click Network Connections.

3. Right-click Local Area Connection, and then click Properties.

4. Click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click Properties.

5. Click the General tab, and then click Advanced.

6. Click the WINS tab.

7. Under NetBIOS setting, click Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP, and then click OK two times.

8. Click Close to close the Local Area Connection Properties dialog box.

9. Close the Network Connections window.

Step 2: Start the Computer Browser Service

1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.

2. In the console tree, expand Services and Applications.

3. Click Services.

4. In the right details pane, verify that the Computer Browser service is started, right-click Computer Browser, and then click Start.

5. Close the Computer Management window.

I'll try the above posted solution. I assume that's for my "problem #1" correct?

*EDIT* -- Didn't fix it. :(

That's your problem.

Haha. Yea, I wish. I've never had a problem w/ Internet Security in any of the networking stuff I do. Heck, I even ran a web server behind it.

Edited by jayunsplanet

I'll try the above posted solution. I assume that's for my "problem #1" correct?

*EDIT* -- Didn't fix it. :(

That's your problem.

Haha. Yea, I wish. I've never had a problem w/ Internet Security in any of the networking stuff I do. Heck, I even ran a web server behind it.

Even if its not the problem i recommend you to uninstall any symantec security related software.

I went to a client's house last week. She couldn't share drives or access the network on her new laptop. I looked at it, turned off Norton's firewall, charged her $65 and left.

I went to a client's house last week. She couldn't share drives or access the network on her new laptop. I looked at it, turned off Norton's firewall, charged her $65 and left.

Thats what i love about becoming a computer technician.LoL i just remembered my friend once told me he charged a client for installing a wireless mouse. :D

Edited by Woomera

• 1 month later...
From google ...
This behavior can occur if both of the following conditions are true:

1. NetBIOS over TCP/IP is not turned on (enabled) on one or more computers in the workgroup

2. The Computer Browser service is not started or is turned off (disabled) on one or more computers in the workgroup.

Try following these steps to see if fixes the problem.

Step 1: Turn On NetBIOS over TCP/IP

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Network and Internet Connections.

2. Click Network Connections.

3. Right-click Local Area Connection, and then click Properties.

4. Click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click Properties.

5. Click the General tab, and then click Advanced.

6. Click the WINS tab.

7. Under NetBIOS setting, click Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP, and then click OK two times.

8. Click Close to close the Local Area Connection Properties dialog box.

9. Close the Network Connections window.

Step 2: Start the Computer Browser Service

1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.

2. In the console tree, expand Services and Applications.

3. Click Services.

4. In the right details pane, verify that the Computer Browser service is started, right-click Computer Browser, and then click Start.

5. Close the Computer Management window.

I registered just so I could post to say thanks. This advice helped me greatly. I had been experiencing cpu performance issues for which one of my experimented solutions was to turn off netbios in WINS. When it didn't work I forgot to turn it back on again. Fast forward a few days and I am now trying to access a network share with no luck. network neighborhood is empty and using the name of the shared pc results in "\\pc name not found" error. I could access the shared resources by entering the IP address though, and it was reading this post that jogged my memory and put the last piece in place. Set the netBios to default in WINS and voila!!! Thanks a ton!