WPI error with MS FrontPage 2003

I haven't looked at it lately. I've just been too busy to mess with it anymore and I'm not sure that there is anything more we can do from the HTA/JavaScript side. I really think this has something to do with something beyond the scope of WPI. From best I can tell, it has something to do with Office 2003 pausing/resetting/killing mshta. I'm out of ideas. Sorry.

I will say that I've never experienced this issue when I slipstream the updates using an administrative installation point and Office Resource Kit. Here is a copy of the notes I made when I created my installation package for Office 2003:

1. Run setup.exe /a to create an administrative installation point.
  2. Once the administrative install files have been copied slipstream the service pack:

1. Extract the files from the Office2003SP2-KB887616-FullFile-ENU.exe.
    2. Run msiexec /p MAINSP2ff.msp /a <AdminInstallFiles>\PRO11.msi SHORTFILENAMES=TRUE /qb.
    3. Run msiexec /p OWC11SP2ff.msp /a <AdminInstallFiles>\OWC11.msi SHORTFILENAMES=TRUE /qb.

4. Add any security hotfixes that are needed:
      1. Extract the files from each hotfix file Office2003-KBxxxxxx-FullFile-ENU.exe.
      2. Run msiexec /p *-FullFile-GLB.msp /a <AdminInstallFiles>\PRO11.exe SHORTFILENAMES=TRUE /qb for each hotfix.

[*]Download and install the Office Resource Kit ork.exe.

[*]Run the Custom Installation Wizard from the Office Resource Kit and create an installation with only the Office tools and common files.

[*]Run the Custom Maintenance Wizard from the Office Resource Kit and create a separate maintenance file for each component of Office (Access, Excel, etc.).

[*]Copy the maintwiz.exe file from the resource kit to your administrative install files folder.

[*]Run <AdminInstallFiles>\setup.exe TRANSFORMS=OfficeTools.mst /qb- to install the tools and common files.

[*]Run <AdminInstallFiles>\maintwiz.exe TRANSFORMS=<component>.cmw /qb- to install each component.

Converted Tools and each component into NSIS .exe's COTS\MicrosoftOffice\*.exe.

Note: The Office Tools installation must be run before any Office component is installed.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

any news on this ? Since you cannot slipstream Office 2007 updates anymore like it was possible with Office 2003, how do you guys install Office 2007 including updates with WPI now ?

I have just spent at least 8 hours trying to figure out which of the available updates kills WPI but it seems that it is not a single update but all of them or the update process itself.

So how do you guys cope with that ? Leaving Office 2007 out is no option ... :whistle:

Bye,

Alex

Hi guys,

I really don´t intend to be ungrateful, WPI is free and guys are devoting much of their free time to develop this but I don´t understand why nobody has come up with a real solution for this problem so far and it seems like this problem is know for a long time.

I managed to do without the automatic updates during the Office 2007 installation by copying the updates over to HD, adding Runonceex entries on the fly and installing the updates during the next boot. However, now I need to install Visio 2007 and here the same problem happens but not during the update phase but during Visio installation itself. So how can I install Visio with WPI ? Not at all it seems. Have you guys just accepted that a lot of Microsoft applications crash WPI or have you found at least workarounds ?

If this does not work reliably I will have to find another installation program, but what else is there ? Again, don´t mean to be ungrateful but I need a working solution, is there any ?

Thanks,

Alex

Many people have put a lot of time and effort into figuring out this problem, and no there is not a solution. The problem seems to be that the installation of certain office components and updates somehow disrupts the underlying framework of WPI (mshta, WMI, ActiveX objects, etc.).

As this is an Open project you are welcome to contribute any ideas you may have. Maybe you can figure it out, but at this point I don't think you are in a position to complain about it.

Hi zorphnog,

as I said, I did not mean any disrespect and I appreciate very much what open source and freeware programmers do in their free time, very much so ! :thumbup

So, yes, I am no position to complain as I have not paid, nor did I write code or contributed anything to the project, I understand that.

On the other hand, I spent at least three weeks intensively creating an unattended Vista installation for the company I work for and now, at the end, I find out that programs by Microsoft cannot be installed with it (or at least not reliably or essentially nobody knows what is happening exactly.)

So I am frustrated because I need to find a solution. But thats not your problem and is of course a minor problem compared with all the other things that are going on in this world :unsure:

Just wondering how all the guys using WPI are coping with this situation. Do they simply avoid any Microsoft software or are there workarounds ...

Bye,

Alex

Hi !

Unfortunately, I am not that lucky, Kelsenellenelvian. In my case, the Office 2007 installation usually works fine if I do not have any updates in the update folder. The following Visio installation works sometimes, sometimes not, i was not able to find a reason for this.

But I now have found the ultimate workaround, so this is my contribution to this problem :-)

I have Office, Visio etc. in my config.js so people can choose the software to be installed including every microsoft software. The command in the config.js calls a cmd, which resides in the Office/Visio program folder and looks like this:

@echo off
cmdow @ /HID
cd /D %~dp0

md C:\Install\Office
xcopy /S /E /H /Y .\*.* C:\Install\Office\*.*

REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx /V TITLE /D "Anwendungsinstallation Teil 2" /f
REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\100 /VE /D "Office 2007 Installation" /f
REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\100 /V 1 /D "CMD /C C:\Install\Office\install2.cmd" /f

Essentially, I am copying the installfiles to a folder on C and add a runonceex command so that Office, Visio etc. gets installed after a reboot (without the potential WPI/MS compatability problem in the way).

The install2.cmd which is called on the next reboot then consists of the actual command to install the program and then just deletes the temporary folder.

@echo off
cmdow @ /HID
cd /D %~dp0

start /wait .\setup.exe
if exist "C:\Install\Office" RD /S /Q "C:\Install\Office"

Just in case someone needs a practical workaround. By the way, RunOnceEx still works in Vista or with IE7 but make sure to have the latest IE7 security update slipstreamed or installed before doing this because the RTM version of IE7 disabled RunonceEX.

Bye,

Alex

Edited by midiboy

• 4 weeks later...

My English ability is not good

Office 2003 Conformity SP3

I use the grammar which generally installs

OFFICE

------------------------

Setup=setup.exe /QB-

TempMode

Silent=2

Overwrite=1

-------------------------

FrontPage

Setup=setup.exe /QB-

TempMode

Silent=2

Overwrite=1

--------------------------Above the method admits WPI all OK

I use the grammar which the integrity installs

OFFICE

-------------------------------------------------

Setup=msiexec.exe /i PRO11.MSI ADDLOCAL=ALL PIDKEY=XXXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX /quiet /PASSIVE

TempMode

Silent=2

------------------------------------------------

FrontPage

--------------------------------------------------

Setup=msiexec.exe /i FP11.MSI ADDLOCAL=ALL PIDKEY=XXXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX /quiet /PASSIVE

TempMode

Silent=2

--------------------------------------

The single bond installment all may but admit WPI not to be good

My deep deep suspicion is reboot.js has the question

Edited by book531231

My English ability is not good

Office 2003 Conformity SP3

I use the grammar which generally installs

OFFICE

------------------------

Setup=setup.exe /QB-

TempMode

Silent=2

Overwrite=1

FrontPage

Setup=setup.exe /QB-

TempMode

Silent=2

Overwrite=1

--------------------------Above the method admits WPI all OK :whistle:

I use the grammar which the integrity installs

OFFICE

-------------------------------------------------

Setup=msiexec.exe /i PRO11.MSI ADDLOCAL=ALL PIDKEY=XXXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX /quiet /PASSIVE

TempMode

Silent=2

------------------------------------------------

FrontPage

--------------------------------------------------

Setup=msiexec.exe /i FP11.MSI ADDLOCAL=ALL PIDKEY=XXXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX /quiet /PASSIVE

TempMode

Silent=2

--------------------------------------

The single bond installment all may but admit WPI not to be good :no:

My deep deep suspicion is reboot.js has the question

I use nlite to manufacture the Windows xp conformity

When I fill again

Uses wpi to be able to appear the mistake

Therefore I want to be supposed to be wpi and the xp renewal files

have the conflict

In particular in FrontPage 2,003 SP3 software :no:

Sorry, my English ability is not good.

The first, I use nlite to conformity the renewal files of windows xp 2006,

than I fill the computer software(xp). I try to use wpi after I finished these steps.

That is ok.

But I use nlite to conformity the renewal files of windows xp 2007,

wpi will be unable to continue to work.

I think they have some questions between the renewal files of windows xp 2007 and wpi.

I will try it again and try to find the questions.

Your understanding will be my appreciated.