MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically.
Search the Community
Showing results for tags '2018'.
Found 3 results
Since there's not much info out there on the web unless you spend a considerable amount of time googling, I thought i'd post the solution so more people can find it quickly. Update Late 2019: Several months after i posted this Microsoft fixed the problem but I believe it was a side effect of them updating their certificates due to an industry shift, so there’s no guarantee they will continue work in future also in the last update i mentioned a batch file, I ended up getting busy and my adhd made me forget, I’ll still post it once I get organised and find it again as it’s useful. Update: The latest problem with activation affects both XP and Vista however it’s relatively easy to fix, you need to update your root Certificates (The same issue causes problems browsing the net too) I have created a Batch script that will download and update the Root Certificates accordingly but it will be a couple of days before I can post it. Below is the Original Fix I posted Turns out it's exceedingly easy to restore Windows XP Online Activation Open the Start Menu Right Click on Internet and choose "Internet Properties" Goto the Advanced Tab Scroll down near the bottom to the Security Section and uncheck both: "Check for publisher's certificate revocation" "Check for server certificate revocation" Now you can activate online as normal or use the "Windows XP Product Key Change Tool" I would reccomend re-enabling both options afterwards even if you dont use Internet Exploder (which you REALLY REALLY should not be) If you’re still having problems: I highly recommend downloading the “Windows XP Product Key Change Tool” it’s an official Microsoft tool and you should be able to download it from majorgeeks worked in every other instance for me where the built in one didn’t. (And in think it also lets you use different type of keys from the media the OS was installed from, such as Retail on OEM and such) Also make sure your clock is set correctly (A common source of TLS problems)
So i previously made a post titled, "modernize ie6," After coming to a decision to upgrade to ie8, I realized it was a lot better, although not perfect at all, but usable. I kind of just got bored with ie6. So the point of my new project, is modernizing not ie6, but ie8. If you don't know, there's a lot of sites that depend on tls 1.1 or 1.2, while ie8 in XP doesn't support either. For example, Wikipedia. Even that (a mostly text based site) wont load. "This page cannot be displayed" Im sure you all have seen that error at some point in time. So heres a few goals: -tls 1.1 and 1.2 support (SOLVED) -html5 support (if thats even possible) -ecc support -acid3 support -better speed (really slow on some sites compared to Firefox or anything else, if thats even possible to fix) - other miscellaneous things you think would be helpful So feel free to reply if you know of anything. Thanks! DISCLAIMER: please don't say stuff like, "lol why r u using ie8?" or "just use another browser" or maybe even "ie8 is dangerous because its not supported by Microsoft, use Firefox!" Because you see that ruins the point of my experiment, I already have other browsers, I just want to see what I can do with ie8.
Important announcement for Dropbox users still running Windows Vista: As of January 2018, the Dropbox desktop client will no longer connect to the Dropbox service on PCs running Windows Vista. However, you can work around this by running the application in compatibility mode for Windows NT 4.0 (Service Pack 5), and the software should then connect to Dropbox just fine. Keep in mind, this was tested on the 41.4.80 version of the client, which was released on January 8, 2018. This workaround may be patched in newer versions, or newer versions of the client may not work in Vista at all, so I wouldn't count on this solution being a good long-term strategy. If/when this no longer works, you may simply use the web version of Dropbox (as long as you're using a supported web browser. View this post to see a list of web browsers as well as other software that still support Vista). Anyway, with that said, here's how to perform the workaround: 1. First of all, make sure all instances of Dropbox are closed. To do this, open Task Manager, click on the 'Processes' tab, and end 'Dropbox.exe': 2. Next, open Explorer and navigate to Program Files (x86 if on a 64-bit system)\Dropbox\Client and highlight Dropbox.exe: 3. Right-click on Dropbox, click Properties, and in the following dialogue, click the 'Compatibility' tab and choose Windows NT 4.0 (Service Pack 5): 4. After doing this, click OK and you may then close out the Windows Explorer window. Now, if you did everything correctly, Dropbox should connect just fine on Windows Vista, and you may use it normally!