Jump to content

comp_ed82

Member
  • Posts

    3
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Donations

    $45.00 
  • Country

    United States

About comp_ed82

  • Birthday 03/28/1979

Profile Information

  • OS
    XP Pro x86

Recent Profile Visitors

1,488 profile views

comp_ed82's Achievements

2

Reputation

  1. Windows 10 is pretty much the end of the line for me as far as m$ goes. Windows 11 will be a firm hell no on my LAN. Luckily, I don't have ginormous screens, exotic interfaces or proprietary A/V capture devices that really run best on Windows, so I can abandon modern Windows for a mixture of legacy commercial OSes and FOSS OSes and software. I'm posting here on a modded 360Chrome browser in Vista 32bit running on a Pentium 4; I have my Twitter feed up on my Mac Mini running Leopard in a modified Firefox build which accessses Twitter through a web rendering proxy service running on an Ubuntu Server VM on another machine. If I push another power switch and flip to another channel on my KVM switch, I can bring up my Mageia Linux gaming machine that runs about 70% of my Steam games collection without having to futz with Proton or Wine (and the other 30% of my Steam games and my entire Gog games collection could run on a Windows 7 box of Core 2 Quad vintage easily). For the past several years, nearly all of my work flow has been done with open-source software, even on my Windows boxes. If m$ wants to move further down the road of spying on users and controlling how they use their computers, that's fine with me. I already had one foot out the door anyway.
  2. One concern I'd have if I were buying the machine listed by the OP is for the condition of the motherboard capacitors. Dells from this era up to around the mid 2000s often used electrolytic capacitors of substandard quality for the voltage regulators that power the CPU. That might be another good reason to ask for a pic of the motherboard - are the capacitors near the CPU socket bulging? As previously mentioned, older systems with ISA slots for SoundBlaster 16 era audio cards would serve better for DOS gaming, but this system would work well for later era Windows 9x games and early XP era games.
  3. Welcome aboard! This forum is one of the few places with an active community of Windows 98 enthusiasts. I lurked here for a while myself before poking my head in as well.
  4. XP64 will give you an OS with a lighter footprint than 7 or 10, but with simple access to your entire 6 GiB of RAM. My only caveat would be about driver availability, but you mentioned that wasn't a problem with your hardware. I'd consider XP32 best for compatibility with pre-XP software, though.. especially 16-bit era software. Is dual-booting an option for you? If so, it might be worth your time to install both XP and a more modern OS. Windows 7 is really all you need for modern browsers at this time, and can be customized from instructions on this forum to reduce the number of running background services and graphical effects. Both should reduce CPU/GPU usage and help battery life. I wouldn't want to run 8 or 10 on that hardware unless I had specific software that I wanted to run that needs a more recent OS on bare metal.


×
×
  • Create New...