Changing resources in 16 bits files

eidenk

I had – just now. Replaced one 8-bit bitmap with a 24-bit one. I have also modified dialog forms before.

Are you aware of any compatibility problems that arise when using ExeScope?

Edited by j7n

I had – just now. Replaced one 8-bit bitmap with a 24-bit one. I have also modified dialog forms before.

Are you aware of any compatibility problems that arise when using ExeScope?

OK so, I have downloaded eXescope from Softpedia (version 6.41) and I have been unable to replace the icons of winfile.exe with others of a different color depth.

I have been able to replace a 16 color bitmap with a 256 color one but then the modified winfile crashes systematically on launch.

With VC++, I can do both of those things and the exe runs normally.

Edited by eidenk

Ok, it is very easy to change resources in 16bit files if you have Visual C++.

Here is one example :

Sysedit with 256 color icons

If you don't have VC++ and would like to change bitmap or icon resources in other 16bit files, provide the new resources and I'll do it for you.

If I may impose on your VC++ expertize, could you replace the ugly icon [icon number 200 (first icon) as displayed in exescope] from my modded WinME WINFILE.EXE with a better one?

All necessary files are zipped here [84 KB, English]:

http://www.mdgx.com/spx/WINFILEX.ZIP

The XP-compatible icon [multi-res + multi-color] I'd like to use is called FILEMAN.ICO .

Many thanks in advance.

If you need to email me:

http://www.mdgx.com/form.htm

Best wishes.

I am not sure VC++ 2005 will even do the job under XP as *I think* support for editing 16bit executables has been dropped from versions above 6.

I am using VC++ 6 Standard Edition, which I bought on eBay for very cheap (£12 including P&P).

VC++ 5 will do the same job but cannot be installed correctly on my ME OS (wants IE 4 to be installed), which does not matter for editing resources in executables as copying the folder containing the IDE over is enough.

VC++ 4, and probably even earlier versions, will do but not so well as 5 and 6.

Oddly enough it is not possible to edit 32 bit executables with those IDEs under 9x OSes. You need to use VC++ under an NT OS to be able to do that.

Edited by eidenk

Done. It's here : Winfile

There is not much need for expertise for doing that btw. As easy as using Reshacker or eXescope.

Thanks a bunch for doing this.

I don't have VC++ [any edition].

I've tried to do this using eXescope but it didn't allow me to change the size of the resource [FILEMAN.ICO is a multi-res, 256 color icon, XP-style], and Reshacker doesn't support 16-bit NE files like WINFILE.EXE. ;(

One day I'll get VC++.

P.S.:

I've just added the new FM to 98SE2ME [option 7]:

http://www.msfn.org/board/?showtopic=46349

Thanks again.

No problems. I have adopted your winfile as well.

You've done marvels within the 16 color limitation of bitmaps btw.

I could upload another one if you want in which the bitmaps are converted to 256 colors in case you'd want to further enhance them.