Windows File Protection

mars_army

so i just went through the whole reformat process on my laptop and installed with my newly created nLite cd.

everything has been great except i got that one dialogue that asks you to put in your windows xp service pack 2 cd to restore some files because of windows file protection.

i didn't include a hacked file in my nLite cd to turn off WFP (i didn't even know they existed)

i've only gotten that dialogue once, and basically i want to know if it's a big deal that i have WFP...should i go through the whole process again with a hacked file or something? i'd rather not have to reformat and reinstall all over again.

Check this out:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/lazimute/patches.htm

Edit: OR download this http://www3.sympatico.ca/lazimute/xpcr_en/SFC_OS.DL_ rename it to sfc_os.cab, open it, xtract sfc_os.dll into your windows\system32 dir. You might have to use unlocker from http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker to unlock your current sfc_os.dll

Good luck

Edited by T D

Hey thanks TD but I think I'm having a problem.

I downloaded and extracted the DLL...and then made a backup of the one in the System32 folder...and each time I tried to back it up, Windows would create a NEW sfc_os.dll in its place...so I tried replacing the Windows one with the hacked one...and then I run my mouse over it and in the details it has Microsoft Corporation as the company...the hacked DLL didn't have that in it's description when I checked it out.

Does Winodws not let you replace the dll? It seems to me that it keeps creating a fresh one whenever you try to modify it/replace it.

oke here is the deal...

3 steps...

1. get yourself a hacked sfc_os.dll (i guess you already have one).

1b. find out where all instances of this file a stored in your os,

it should be in system32 AND system32\dll-catch if im not mistaking...

2. boot from your windows xp install cdrom,

2b. go to the recovery / repair consol

2c. you should now be at a dos-like box, were it asks you to witch windows you want to log on to...

2d. log in as administrator (or any user with that privs).

3 now copy + replace sfc_os.dll to all locations where you found it in step 1b...

>>> reboot and start windows as usual ....

i created a utility specifically for replacing sfc_os.dll while it's still in use.

utility is called SFC Hack and is available at xp.awardspace.com

the dll it uses is the widely distributed one created by our very own Jdoe here at MSFN.

Hey man,

Thanks a bunch for the link but the files won't download. It looks like an awesome program, and I can't wait to try the XP tweak thing. When I click on either of the SFC links, it shows a bunch of random characters in the browser window (Firefox and IE), and when I right click and save as, it offers to save it as a html document only.

If you could fix that up it'd be great =)

right click, save as ;)

err...it shouldn't save as html :(

here, i attached it.

i just tested with internet explorer, and even though it saves it with a .htm extension, rename it back to 7z and you will be able to open it just fine. i'll clarify that on my page in the near future. (this is my very first night with internet access since the last update)

SFC_Hack.7z

Edited by i'm not ophiel

Or go to Windows\System32\dllcache, replace the one in there with the cracked sfc_os.dll and it will work. Dllcache is where SFP stores a cache of files in case one gets changed.

hey "i'm not ophiel"

i tried using the sfc hack, and the uility said that it checked out okay, but i immediately got a WFP dialogue, and when i checked the dll in system32, it still says Microsoft on it.

i think the ulility only tries to replace the dll in system32 and not its backup dll. windows keeps replacing the hacked one with the backup file.

Ok, an easy way out.

cd %systemroot%\system32\dllcache
ERASE /F /Q *.*
copy /Y sfc_os.dll %systemroot%\system32
copy /Y sfc_os.dll %systemroot%
exit

Put this in a batch and put sfc_os.dll in the same dir as the batch.

Hope this helps.