interaction with Bashrats driverpacks ?

midiboy

Hi !

I am trying HFSLIP for the first time, so please be patient :hello:

I just have a quick question:

I already have a unattended install DVD that has Bashrats driverpacks intergrated. That means there are txtsetup.sif and txtsetup.old and winnt.sif and winnt.old files in there.

The SVCPACK folder contains two files:

KB888111.ca_ and KB892559.ca_

probably from Bashrats driverpacks too.

I used this I386 folder as a source for HFSLIP. I am merely into slipstreaming all the post SP2 updates, nothing else.

Will this work or will I run into problems if for instance I update the driverpacks in the future ? I guess it means: do you write to txtsetup and winnt.sif files and does the KB888111 slipstreaming process that Bashrats driverpacks are doing causing any problems with the HFSLIP process ?

Thanks for your help !

Alex

Sorry, but HFSLIP needs a virgin source, just like NLITE and the other slipstreamers. You could always *try* it, but remember HFSLIP is designed around using an unadultered source. Maybe you can try running his driver packs *after* running HFSLIP?

Hi Tommy,

I understand. I can do that once of course but what happens next time I want to slipstream an update. Would I have to recreate everything from scratch each time I slipstream an update ? I don´t know how others do that but for me this sounds a bit tedious .. ?

Anyway, thanks for your quick reply !

Bye,

Alex

midiboy, since the driverpacks have the backups of your old files why dont you just restore them, run HFSlip then do the driver packs again?

And on your second post, i believe you'll find you need a virgin source for every slipstreaming method (hfslip, ryanvm, etc) other then microsofts "slipstream" which just uses svcpack. I think the basic idea to creating a cd/dvd like this is you have a fairly secure disc to begin with, so you can easily jump on microsoft update without to many worries and download any extra updates with just the microsoft firewall enabled.

****... I did contact UpdatePack authors, but I forgot to contact you, the HFSLIP developers (you're a team, right?). I'm sorry.

In the next version of the DriverPacks BASE (one with a GUI), there's better detection of UpdatePacks. If an UpdatePack is detected, then no hotfixes will be slipstreamed.

Could you provide me with some kind of tagfile or tagvalue to identify a source of Windows XP that has been updated with HFSLIP? I'd have contacted you through private mail, but since I stumbled upon this topic...

Please send me a mail (BashratTheSneaky AT gmail DOT com) or let me know right here.

Bâshrat the Sneaky - Welcome to the HFSLIP forum. Tomcat76 and I are the developers of HFSLIP. In case you are not familar with HFSLIP, we use a CMD file and we strive to slipstream in the "pure" sense. Meaning, we replace binaries with updated ones, and try to leave the overall structure of the windows setup intact. Of coarse we have to modify the txtsetup.sif, dosnet.inf, sysoc.inf, and svcpack.inf. We overwrite the svcpack.inf original with our own depending on what the user wants to slipstream. Typically our svcpack.inf have no executables in them. If you have any detailed Q's drop me a PM so we can discuss.

BTW, is there a tag/switch we can use when running your driver packs so we can specify the working directory of the windows source? I'd be interested in calling your driverpack setup files from HFSLIP (also a CMD file). Thanks!

Edited by tommyp

BTW, is there a tag/switch we can use when running your driver packs so we can specify the working directory of the windows source? I'd be interested in calling your driverpack setup files from HFSLIP (also a CMD file). Thanks!
i second this! :)

this woud be great! i'll be watching this unfold ...

I understand. I can do that once of course but what happens next time I want to slipstream an update. Would I have to recreate everything from scratch each time I slipstream an update ? I don´t know how others do that but for me this sounds a bit tedious .. ?

Anyway, thanks for your quick reply !

Bye,

Alex

... kind of & that is basically what i do too to be sure that the end product would not give me headaches later ...

Tomcat (& tommyp) always come up w/ newer vers when there are new updates

Edited by Kiki Burgh