How to convert 2003 to a workstation

How to convert your Windows Server 2003...

to a Workstation!

http://www.msfn.org/win2k3/

I can`t Enabling DirectX ?

Enabling DirectX

We now want to enable the full capabilities of DirectX. To do this, go to Start -> Run -> and type dxdiag followed by enter. You will get a dialog box asking if you want to allow dxdiag to access the internet to check for valid WHQL certificates - click on Yes.

Let's click on the Display tab, now click on all three boxes to enable DirectDraw, Direct3D and AGP Texture Acceleration.

You guessed right, that's all you needed to do! You can now install your Win2K/XP drivers for your Graphics card and enjoy the full DirectX experience. (Later on in this guide, we will be installing DirectX 9.0a)

Directdraw Acceleration Not Available

Direct3D Acceleration Not Available

AGP Texture Acceleration Not Available

Edited by the-matrix

From what I got (your post was definitely not clear, to say the least), it's not that you can't install DirectX. It's just that no hardware acceleration is available. Which is most likely due to the fact that 1) either you haven't installed the proper driver for your video card or 2) you haven't set the hardware acceleration slider in the "Troubleshoot" tab in Display properties/Advanced to more than "no acceleration".

I have now Enabling DirectX and i also have turn windows audio startup automatic apply-> Start -> OK . but now my problems start LiveDrvUni-Pack for Win2K/XP dated 10th March 2003 for SB Live! card don`t work it says it where is no sound card what match the driver ?

http://www.msfn.org/win2k3/sound.htm

Lastly, we will need to go back into DirectX Diagnostics. Click on Start -> Run -> and type dxdiag followed by enter. This time, go to the Sound tab and move the slider on "Hardware Sound Acceleration Level" to Full Acceleration.

Great! We have sound enabled, now go and grab a copy of Winamp and play some music to soothe yourself! :-)

Not forgetting, if you have a SB Live! card like I do, you should grab the LiveDrvUni-Pack for Win2K/XP dated 10th March 2003. There is absolutely no need to extract and install the drivers manually, because the setup program works just fine on Windows Server 2003!

What's next? Visual Styles on Windows Server 2003! Let's move on to the next section!

Edited by the-matrix

• 2 weeks later...

My problem is with the SOUND DRIVER. When I install the latest driver for my Hercules Fortisimo II, windows will just restart, and keep restarting untill I uninstall the driver from my sistem in safe mode, cos when in normal mode it will instantly restart when the STARTUP sound is played.

Help me!

My problem is with the SOUND DRIVER. When I install the latest driver for my Hercules Fortisimo II, windows will just restart, and keep restarting untill I uninstall the driver from my sistem in safe mode, cos when in normal mode it will instantly restart when the STARTUP sound is played.

Help me!

Hello BigDaddy !

You are in the wrong forum try this link : http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showforum=34

But i think you shut contact the vendor of your sound card or the shop where you purchase your sound card or your pc vendor ?

PS: In your first post you wrote that you run WindowsXP Pro SP2 now you have change ito 2k3 ?

Good Luck

The-Matrix

Edited by the-matrix

Help me!

Hello BigDaddy !

You are in the wrong forum try this link : http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showforum=34

But i think you shut contact the vendor of your sound card or the shop where you purchase your sound card or your pc vendor ?

Good Luck

The-Matrix

Im in the proper FORUM since this is where we discus Win2k3

@hammermtl:

this looks really interesting to me and sorry if this is a noob question but what is the benifit of running the server as a workstation?

I'm not intending to start a flame war going on here but....

I dont see any benefit - as I've said in another topic(s), it may well be stable, but its designed as a OS that serves other machines - thus the reason behind its name lol

I find it very unlikely that people have actually gone out and bought 2003 over XP somehow - sorry if you have but even the OEM costs double/triple the OEM of XP Pro so I just find it unlikely.... unless you're loaded of course ;)

And regarding stablility, MS have worked hard in recent years fine tuning XP, as they did with other OS' (admittedly, not as well) and if treated right, then XP will be as stable as you can get really.

The only benefit would be certain server tasks, but then, why try and turn it into a desktop OS.

It hasnt made any sense to me but there we go hehe

Only my two cents - no flaming me please.

Regards,

Nath

because windows server 2003 is much much more stabil and can run for day or even week with out you have to restart your or close your pc this is not possible with my WindowsXP Home it is the best windows in my opnion i have now run 2k3 for a week or 2 and i allready can see that is maybe 100 times more stabil when WindowsXP Home but i guess maybe run windowsXP Pro i have never try i think i will buy the windows server 2003 a friend of mine is a MS partner he can sale it to me for around 230-235 USD but it is the Windows Server 2003 Small Business version but i don`t see where is much to gain for me to buy the Enterprise version but he was not 100% sure what version it was.

Edited by the-matrix

@hammermtl:
this looks really interesting to me and sorry if this is a noob question but what is the benifit of running the server as a workstation?

I'm not intending to start a flame war going on here but....

I dont see any benefit - as I've said in another topic(s), it may well be stable, but its designed as a OS that serves other machines - thus the reason behind its name lol

I find it very unlikely that people have actually gone out and bought 2003 over XP somehow - sorry if you have but even the OEM costs double/triple the OEM of XP Pro so I just find it unlikely.... unless you're loaded of course ;)

And regarding stablility, MS have worked hard in recent years fine tuning XP, as they did with other OS' (admittedly, not as well) and if treated right, then XP will be as stable as you can get really.

The only benefit would be certain server tasks, but then, why try and turn it into a desktop OS.

It hasnt made any sense to me but there we go hehe

Only my two cents - no flaming me please.

Regards,

Nath

Very true. And as U might have guessed already I haven't purchase it. I'm just testing it on my test machine to see how it acts. For my primary server I still use Win2k and wouldn't be trading it for no other OS if M$ wouldn't be planing of canceling support for it.

because windows server 2003 is much much more stabil and can run for day or even week with out you have to restart your or close your pc this is not possible with my WindowsXP Home it is the best windows in my opnion i have now run 2k3 for a week or 2 and i allready can see that is maybe 100 times more stabil when WindowsXP Home but i guess maybe run windowsXP Pro i have never try i think i will buy the windows server 2003 a friend of mine is a MS partner he can sale it to me for around 230-235 USD but it is the Windows Server 2003 Small Business version but i don`t see where is much to gain for me to buy the Enterprise version but he was not 100% sure what version it was.

Not TRUE. The only reason U notice such big difference of stability is because your WinXP aren't properly set up.

@the-matrix:

We've had this discussion before so I'm not gonna start again lol

Remember it was just my opinion and also, its just your opinion too ;)

My XP machine has been running continually (no restarts or crashing) for 3-4 weeks. I only restart it when after a install/configuration change. So stability (yet again) isn't a reason.

You're post is a little messy, but I'm just gonna say this for your own sake to be careful what your buying there.

If he really is a MS partner, then he should know what he's selling you - he should know whether its 2003 SBS, Std, Ent or web.

Regards,

Nath.

[god I'm slow at posting lol]

;) @ BigDaddy - Had a discussion with the-matrix in another topic somwhere.

We all know that the server OS is stable, but XP can be just as stable if looked after properly.

eval ver of 2003? ;) Its a fine OS - I never had 2k at work but from NT > 2003 was pure bliss. MS - I salute you (in this case lol)

Regards,

N.