Delete Internet Explorer from QuickLaunch

During RunOnceEx using cleanup.cmd, I'm trying to delete the Internet Explorer link from QuickLaunch. I've tried this but it doesn't seem to work. After RunOnceEx runs and my computer reboots, if I run it then it is deleted. However, I'd like it deleted during this RunOnceEx phase. Anyone have any ideas?

Here's the relevant part of my RunOnceEx.cmd

REG ADD %KEY%\145 /V 2 /D "%systemdrive%\install\cleanup.cmd" /f

Here's the relevant part of my cleanup.cmd

DEL /F /Q "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Launch Internet Explorer Browser.lnk"

DEL /Q "%appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Launch Internet Explorer Browser.lnk"

Just tried an install with this, didn't work. Launch Internet Explorer Browser.lnk is still in the Administrator's QuickLaunch. Any other ideas?

u dont need 2 reinstall just 2 test that! :wacko:

Like I said in my first post, if I run it normally it works. However when I run it during RunOnceEx it doesn't work. I'm trying to make it work during RunOnceEx...

The problem is that this shortcut is not created until the first boot of the user who's quick launch directory you are trying to edit.

This gave me a big headache for a while too :)

You can verify this by doing a "dir .../*.lnk > quicklinks_log.txt" in your cleanup.cmd on the directory you are doing "del *.lnk" on.

If you really want to go all the way, you'll need to create a login script that runs the first time someone logs in and deletes it.

It's probably not worth it though... Both IE and Media Player have an annoying habit of reappearing in the quick launch and startmenu every time there is an upgrade to those applications. MS really wants to have those shortcuts put in that spot!

Good luck!

__John

The Internet Explorer icon in Quick Launch seem to be created when the user profile is fully loaded so the reason it is not deleted is not because your DEL command is wrong, it's just because there's nothing to delete.

Maybe you could try with the STARTUP folder by running a batch from there.

The execution order of RunOnce are...

1) HKLM - RunOnceEx

2) HKLM - RunOnce

3) HKCU - RunOnce

4) STARTUP folder

Thanks for everyone's advice. I realized that the shortcut was created after Windows fully loads, so deleting it during the RunOnceEx phase is impossible. However during the RunOnceEx phase I added another key to the RunOnceEx so that after it rebooted and fully loaded into Windows another RunOnceEx would start and delete the link.

Dunno, but if you set your batch to copy a batch file that dels the quick launch to the admin desktop? This way, the 1st time you log on another profile, you will have that batch on your desktop. just run it and u r done =P

Thanks for everyone's advice. I realized that the shortcut was created after Windows fully loads, so deleting it during the RunOnceEx phase is impossible. However during the RunOnceEx phase I added another key to the RunOnceEx so that after it rebooted and fully loaded into Windows another RunOnceEx would start and delete the link.

Hi,

I have the same probleme :(

How do you make an RunOnceEx to call second RunOnceEx after first reboot?

I hope that you understand what i mean?

Thanks

Irving

Here's the relevant line in RunOnceEx.cmd

This calls another file to add more registry keys

REG ADD %KEY%\145 /V 2 /D "%systemdrive%\install\extracleanup.cmd" /f

Heres extracleanup.cmd (Will run after second reboot, after Administrator is fully logged on)

cmdow @ /HID
@echo off

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY%\002 /VE /D "Cleaning Up and Rebooting" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\002 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\selfcleanup.bat" /f

EXIT

It might be a good idea to not use any numbers that you've used in your first RunOnceEx, I'm not sure though.

this is how i delete windows media player link, which has the same issue:

@echo off
cmdow @ /hid
del /F "%userprofile%\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Media Player.lnk"
:go
sleep 1
if exist "%userprofile%\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Media Player.lnk" goto doit
echo.Waiting...
goto go
:doit
echo.Deleting...
del /F "%userprofile%\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Media Player.lnk"