Image vs Unattended | Pro's and Con's

Does anyone know which method is best overall

Obviously Imaged PCs are faster at rebuilding than Unattended ones

Are imaged systems more reliable?, anyone else have any points on this as i'm really finding it hard to justify using Unattended disks over Imaged ones on our small network.

please anyone have any info or links to where i can read up, cheers

HD Image Pros :

===========

1) Fast Extraction that help you save many time in comparison to Unattended Installation.

HD Image Cons :

===========

1) You always have to format your HD.

2) Difficulties in making updates.

Unattended Installation Pros :

===================

1) You don't have to format your HD

2) Easy to update your Unattended CD

Unattended Installation Cons :

===================

1) Normally takes much time than extracting an HD Image; However, today exists fast computers that take only 15-20Mins to install windows

I think they kind of go hand in hand myself. The initial install using unattended so you can customize the OS however you like. When you are satisified with it make an image so you can get it back up as quickly as possible. :)

THIS IS GREAT STUFF KEEP IT COMING

i'm not sure about formatting the pc before the image goes on, in the past i haven't done this.

Unattended on the otherhand i do format, albeit only a quick format.

With ghost for example you use a boot disk(ghost.exe) and then copy the image over, i don't think it formats but i could be wrong on this.

ghost makes a sector-by-sector image, thus automaticly formatting (while copying) your partition (or harddrive if you made a hd backup instead of partition). this means that you don't have to format the drive before setting a ghost-image back

Well, there's more to it than just speed. To be able to clone with ghost+sysprep, you have to have the same HLA, and not use diff mass storage drivers (scsi, raid or such).

At work, I usually make the basic install with a unattended setup, then install most software, then sysprep/ghost and deploy. We do this for each major type of PC we have, as the hardware (and bundled software) changes and it's less hassle that way.

Also, some software doesn't seem to like the way sysprep plays with the SIDs... Sometimes cloning like that causes issues.

If you only cloned, you'd end up deinstalling and reinstalling software a lot, then running sysprep for the ?th time... and it's a pain, and it seems that PCs aren't so reliable anymore after playing that game for too long.

You can easily update the software on your unattended setup, and all your basic images build from this will be up to date...

There's many ways to deploy, many tools, and we all have preferences, there's not just one good answer when it comes to deploying.

I guess it's a bit like patch deployment. Many ways to do it too.

Considering tools such as CaptiveNTFS allowing Linux to access NTFS, and BartPE allowing a mini NT boot, simply boot one of these and InfoZip zip the entire partition, minus the swap file. To restore use your boot environment to format the partition and unzip.

It has been gossiped that M$ uses XCOPY to "install" 64-bit OS's booted of of their OPK / WinPE CD.

Just files guys, not brain surgery! :)

Customize your CD, install, then zip and reuse over and over!

PianoMan

piano man we are saying that if you have more than one machine and they don't have exactly the same hardware then you can't use that zip file for both machines. Also if you want to change any programs or settings its pretty easy to extract your unattended cd make the neccessary changes quick and then reburn and wolla you now have a cd that will work on any number of machines. If you go the zip file route then you have to install onto each machine type you have make the changes to each machine type and then make a new zip file for each machine.

I think the zip file idea would only be good for a single machine type environment and even then I would still just go with an unattended cd because of the uid and other issues and ease of updating.

No links needed, it's pretty much settled for this site. You will notice that all the top experts here devote their time and talent to unattended. Long and painful experience has been their teacher. Only the others occasionally re-hash the case for imaging.

I actually believe in unattended, but i'm in a position where i have to convince others to convert over.

I just need more ammunition...unattended is better because.....

But thanks everyone for your input

:P

Imaging is better because you can handle different hardware just as with unattended (just replace the hal.dll with DOS or Linux and you're done). Then again there ist the speed advantage of imaging.

Still there are issues that make both unattended and imaging a PITA :realmad: .

M$ should FINALLY update their setupapi.dll such as it scans subdirectories. Integrating a large number of drivers has been a terrible mess since first version of Windows 2000. For 5 years now M$ was unable to add this feature...

oempnpdriverspath=<dir1>;<dir2>;<dir3>...... :realmad:

---> oempnpdriverspath=<dir1> :D