Win98se + SATA drive + USB 2.0 = problem ?

kpuchatek

Hi.

Maybe somebody has idea how to solve that. I trying to install Win98se on my PC which has ATA and SATA drives.

SATA is NTFS so not visible for WIN98SE. Everything seems to be ok, until I install USB 2.0 driver.

Win98SE worked on this PC in the past, so I suspect there is some conflict between USB 2.0 and SATA drive.

USB HW is ok, I can use devices with USB 1.1 speed (suported by 98SE without 3rd party drivers).

Installing USB 2.0 drivers causes system slowndown or not boot at all after restart.

I've tried with both OrangeWare and Maximus ( with Maximus system starts but USB devices are not detected).

I checked IRQ and USB 2.0 controller seems to share IRQ 10 with SATA controller, however I could not

change USB 2.0 IRQ in any way, always back to IRQ 10.

OS Plug & Play in BIOS has no effect on this, tried to install with both.

My PC is ASUS K8N (nforce3) + Athlon64.

Any ideas other than disconnecting ;-) SATA drive ?

Why don't you try the USB 2.0 drivers in PassingBy's NUSB 3.12 for Win 98FE? They are the only option I see left.

You'll find them in the NUSB thread, and I'm sure PassingBy will be glad to help you if you have any problem installing them. Good luck! HTH

BTW, did you disable IRQ Steering in My Computer -> Properties -> Device Manager -> System Devices -> PCI Bus -> Properties -> IRQ Steering ? It might help.

Edited by dencorso

I don't think that installing NUSB 3.12 (if they install at all in 98SE) will change IRQ assigment, which seems to be the problem. Yesterday I disabled SATA controller in BIOS and system worked ok, so now I am 100% sure there is conflict between SATA and USB 2.0. It could be the issue that nforce3 has no IDE driver for Win98se, so SATA controller is handled by standard MS driver (not like in XP).

Why do you suggest disabling IRQ steering ? On many sites including MS KB it is recommended to keep it always enabled in Win98Se. I can try but I think it will cause only problems with devices installation. I could be wrong, but when IRQ is disabled, Win98Se is not able to set IRQs etc, they are defined by BIOS. Sometimes BIOS defines data only for on-board devices causing problem when installing PCI cards.

Hmmm .....

This is just a preliminary suggestion here ... Kindly take with a pinch of salt ...

If I'm not mistaken, due to how NV chipsets were designed, there's a few changes in the design that will break windows9x and even DOS ... Months back I was installing a k8n4-e system and it worked fine in XP ... but it was unable to boot to DOS from a floppy drive when I wanted to make some simple DOS tests ... (Probably DOS doesn't know how to handle NV hardware ports ...)

My guess is that the IDE, SATA & USB controller is integrated as one controller unit and uses shared IRQ ... Thus they require bridging-drivers to work properly ... If you're willing to experiment and proficient enough then you can try modifying the setup file of an earlier W98 NF2-Gb driver or the current W2K NF3 driver to see if they can be loaded by W98 ...

Rgds

Why do you suggest disabling IRQ steering ? On many sites including MS KB it is recommended to keep it always enabled in Win98Se. I can try but I think it will cause only problems with devices installation. I could be wrong, but when IRQ is disabled, Win98Se is not able to set IRQs etc, they are defined by BIOS. Sometimes BIOS defines data only for on-board devices causing problem when installing PCI cards.

To allow you to force a new IRQ on the SATA driver at the SCSI tab in the Device Manager. Disabling also NVRAM/ESCD Updates (in the System Devices -> Plug and Play Bios tab) might also be of help. I don't know for a fact whether it will work or not in your particular case. But I'd give it a try. If it doesn't help, you can undo it quite fast.

Story continues...

I played with IRQ steering - total disaster :-( It seems that Win is not able to assign correct IRQ to USB2.0 without BIOS. I tried many combination, for the moment I had IRQ 3 assigned to USB2.0 (not working anyway), but it could be displaying error in Device Manager.

I did not try IRQ steering = disabled with Plug and Play OS=No, but it looks like BIOS always gives IRQ 10 to both USB2.0 and SATA controller.

Disabling ACPI BIOS IRQ table causes only loosing of both IDE & SATA controller.

So to install USB2.0 correctly I need to live with IRQ steering enabled.

That was bad part of the story.

I started to look at options I have for different controllers. Nforce3 250 has one dual channel IDE controller ( I have one HD and one DVD on it) and one dual channel SATA controller.

Win98SE installs drivers for both, however I don't need it for 98SE (SATA driver is NTFS used under XP). Removing device for SATA causes

both device to be reported as not working correctly, but I found option on Dual IDE controller device to set 'No channels enabled' and then...

NO IRQ for SATA ANYMORE !!!!

Installed OrangeWare USB 2.0 drivers, IRQ 10 assigned and system works, USB flash detected.

I managed to install almost all drivers and updates now, including IE6.0. Some still left including sp2.1a.

In my case this is ok, however it would be more challenging to make SATA drive FAT32 formatted working under Win98SE.

I don't think so, it is possible to install W2000 SATA driver under 98SE, but can have a look.

Anyway, issue with USB2.0 and SATA seems to be solved for me, I will let you know after installation is completed and tested.

Edited by kpuchatek