Hard Drive Help Needed

bigmickey

hi,i use xp pro and i fitted a new hdd (samsung 120gb 7200rpm ata 133) as a slave, my problem is every time i reboot i have to go into disc management and reactivate the drive, it shows up fine on the bios screen,but when i go to "my computer its not there and the computer only recognises the drive after i reactivate it????? my main drive is 40gb in 2 partitions (15gb 25gb) it is fat 32 and a basic drive, my new hdd is ntfs and a dynamic drive, when i go into disc managment at first it says drive offline,after i reactivate it this changes to healthy but at risk,after i reactivate it a second time all is fine till i reboot. also when i try to run scandisk or checkdisc (or any dos) i get the message " 16 bit ms-dos subsystem" "set up scandisk. an application has attempted to directly access the hard disk, which cannot be supported. this may cause the application to function incorrectly. choose close to terminate the application" then no matter what i do dos closes. please help as you can probably tell im not the best with pc's. thanks in advance for your time. mick :)

i have half sorted this by converting my old hdd to dynamic drives (was basic), now it shows the new drive when i reboot but i still need to reactivate once (was twice) if i convert my old hdd to ntfs from fat 32 i think this will solve my problems. how do i do this without reformating my boot drive and 40gig of files? i seem to remember something about a command (convert) can anyone enlighten me? thanks again, mick