I'm having trouble with HFSLIP 1.5

Sgt_Strider

I moved the whole HFSLIP folder from \WIN-CD\HFSLIP to \HFSLIP.

I also added ALL patches, WMP11, IE7 and all cabs. I adjusted the afanswer.ini to install IE7 at T-13, drivercomp=A...

NO ASMS-ERROR :thumbup

BUT: IE7 is not integrated. During the setup the IE7 installer has been started but after the installation there is only IE6. I also tried to start the IE7-installer exe from the i386\svcpack manually but it did not install IE7. It opens a dos box, does something for a few seconds and disappears.

The modified IE7 installer that is placed in I386\SVCPACK is a quiet installer (using /quiet switch) as opposed to the first GUI logon installer (using /passive switch). I suppose you waited a while after double-clicking IE7_INST.EXE to make sure it's installed, and then rebooted.

Can you expand IE7_INST.EXE and show what's inside SETUP.CMD?

The modified IE7 installer that is placed in I386\SVCPACK is a quiet installer (using /quiet switch) as opposed to the first GUI logon installer (using /passive switch). I suppose you waited a while after double-clicking IE7_INST.EXE to make sure it's installed, and then rebooted.

Can you expand IE7_INST.EXE and show what's inside SETUP.CMD?

I waited but nothing happend. I rebooted the system because I expected IE7 to be installed in the background but after the reboot IE7 was still missing.

I'll expand it and attach the setup.cmd on Saturday or Sunday.

-------------------

Edit:

Here we go...

@ECHO OFF
IF EXIST %SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\CMDOW.EXE CMDOW @ /HID
MD update
EXPAND UPDATE.CAB -F:* update >NUL
update\iesetup.exe /quiet /norestart /update-no /nobackup
EXIT

Edited by CharlyBrown

The ASMS-ERROR is back! :}

I build a new ISO with some additional drivers, the new roots-update and the new Intel-CPU patch and the ASMS-Error is back again.

:wacko:

---------------

Edit: For the next try I'll install a secondary IDE harddrive and move the HFSLIP-folder there.

I may also try to use a different CD-RW. That one that I still use has been rewritten quite often during all these tests.

Edited by CharlyBrown

Well... I kind of figured it would return.

I did one HFSLIP run and renamed the SOURCESS folder to SOURCESS_OLD.

Then I renamed the root folder from "slippin" to "slippin-xp" and ran HFSLIP again. Both SOURCESS folders were identical.

Then I renamed the root folder to "WIN-CD" (just like you had). New SOURCESS folder was also identical.

That was about three hours ago. I now made an ISO from the latest SOURCESS folder and am installing from it. It's past "Installing drivers" and I didn't get an ASMS error. So I guess the hyphen wasn't the problem.

I'm interested in what happens if you use the different hard drive.

I used a new CD-RW media at first: It did not change anything. The next I'll try is the harddrive. I'll report back.

*sigh* I did not save the functional sourcess or ISO. :-/ But I found out something funny: The ASMS-Error happens somewhere at T-39. When I reboot and insert any other functional build the Installation finishes successfully!

So it's something on the CD but nothing that has already been copied to the harddrive.

------------------

I did the test:

A different harddrive + new CD-RW => ASMS-Error. :-(

------------------

Edit2:

I'll move everything to my laptop and try to run HFSLIP there. I have an idea what may be the reason for the problem. I'll report back in approximately 12 to 14 hours.

------------------

Edit3:

I did several new HFSLIP runs but all failed.

At first I tried to disable background tasks (Virus scanner, ZoneAlarm, etc) on my main System and ran HFSLIP. The ASMS-Error occured.

Then I moved the whole HFSLIP folder to my Notebook and started a new build with identical setting there. The ASMS-Error occured as well.

Now I removed the newest two patches that I added (rootsupd... and KB936357) and the branding.cab and tried a new build: Once again the ASMS-Error.

Du you still have HFSLIP v70506 (or any pre-1.5.0) anywhere? A build with that version does work but I don't have it anymore.

Edited by CharlyBrown

Here is version 1.4.5.

Here are previous test releases (mostly between 1.4.5 and 1.5.0).

If the error occurs on different systems it can only be an HFSLIP problem, a corrupt source problem (which would imply your install CD is damaged) or corrupt hotfixes. Have you tried burning the hotfixes you have in your HF folder at work onto a CD and using those at home?

Actually I burned the whole HFSLIP-folder to a DVD and use it from the very first try. But I started my builds @home with 1.5.0. I just have an "older" build with v70506 that I finished in our company.

Don't lough but right now I did a strange "trick" to force the installation to pass the ASMS-Error:

I used the latest build you can see in the newest log file and waited for the ASMS-error. Then I replaced the installation CD with the older (v70506) build and rebooted. The setup continued at that position. Right after the CD-access I replaced the CD again with the fresh build.

Result: IE7 is integrated (REALLY integrated!) not installed at T-13 with SVCPACK, that did not work doing it this way, WMP11 is integrated, patches seem to be integrated (have to check it), ... My "branding.cab" did not work. In our company I just gave up to use the branding.cab-file and added all needed information to a REG-file that does the trick perfect. I'll try the same here later (low priority because I use Firefox all the time).

So far so good - but at the first boot I get an error message that says something weired about "msoobe.exe". Low Priority because it may be ASMS-error-related as well. The ASMS has to be fixed first.

The one working build (when I thought that it was the hyphen in the folder) was made from the same source and the same patches. I already tested that anyone of the patches is enough to cause the ASMS-error to appear. I am a little bit helpless right now.

Next to try: I'll use the 1.4.5 and/or the test release and report back... Tomorrow... Have to get some sleep now. :wacko: