Macintosh SE Error

I was working on a 17-year old Macintosh SE with a SuperDrive and accidentally clicked on "User Privileges" or something like that and got this message:

"Sorry! A system error has occured!

illegal instruction

(restart)"

I clicked Restart and got the "Welcome to Macintosh." screen followed by:

"Sorry! A system error has occured!

address error

(continue / restart)"

I pressed Continue.

Same thing.

I pressed Restart.

Same thing.

I flipped off the power supply.

I flipped it back on.

Same thing.

No matter how many times I repeated this, the message kept coming back.

Please help.

Boot...disk? What's that? :whistle:

Uhh... all I have for it is a SuperDisk that is write-protected that is keeps asking to initialize...it booted into OS 4 :blushing: just fine without anything in the drive the first time, then it got the errors.

Edited by doggitydogs

Boot...disk? What's that? :whistle:

Uhh... all I have for it is a SuperDisk that is write-protected that is keeps asking to initialize...it booted into OS 4 :blushing: just fine without anything in the drive the first time, then it got the errors.

Oh boy... Do yourself a favour and download the Mac OS 6.0.8 boot disks and try booting into it again. They're public domain.

http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Suppo...m/System_6.0.x/

Edit: I forgot to mention that you need another Mac capable of making boot disks in order to use those image files. :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a question. I had 2 of those (but no superdrive), and i only want 1 file get opened. I can not do that, bevause it keeps telling me i don't have enough memory (ram). I can not fix this problem. From one of them I removed the hard drive, now i wonder, how could i copy this software form the disc (it's scsi), to any other PC (or mac).

Also, if not possible, can newer apple computers read old 800k flopy discete format? I don't know what else to do, i must have that document.