Help with a graphics card

eyeball

Hi,

iv just taken out my old radeon 9600 from pc and replaced with a PNY verto 6600GT 128mb, it requires its own molex connector. My setup is as follows:

Hiper Typer R 580W PSU powering the following...

P4 630 3.0GHZ

2GB Ram

The geforce in question

2x40gb in raid 0 (c: drive)

2x400gb in raid 1

2x400gb in raid 1

2x500gb in raid 1

1x250gb on its own

DVDrw drive

2 TFT Monitors

a couple of fans

The problem:

iv installed the latest dirvers but when playing a movie on one screen and browsing the net on the other the movie will drop frames, and nothing seems as smooth as my good old radeon 9600,

is it possible this could be caused by the GPU not getting enough power?

Thanks for any input :)

P.s everything was fine before i introduced the new card, iv been running on this setup for months with no probs

Did you make some research and read some reviews about your card before you made your purchase?

Maybe the card in question lacks proper video decoding! who knows?

P.S: Why so many hard drive? I get along just fine with only two raptors (74) at 50% capacity.

hi, i just obtained it cos a friend replaced his so i didnt read any reviews, i have all the drives cos my pc is the central location for data around the house, everyone is always watching something from it lol

thanks for the reply though :)

i am using VLC and i have tried that but it doesnt make any difference :(. im gonna try using 2 psus, one for the graphics card only. But il have to test this later, unless anyone else has any ideas?

thanks

find the specs of the cards, your old one and the new one.

more importantly, find the core clock and memory speed. if the new one is slower, then thats why. if the new one is faster then its just not getting along with your rig.

thanks bonestonne, i tried another psu for the gpu only and the problem was the same. Balls to it, iv put my trusty old radeon back and its perfect. thanks for the help everyone

Edited by eyeball