files missing

johndoe74

hi, i just did the first hfslipped install ever on my real machine (so far it was just virtual machines) and two files came up missing in text mode file copy: advpack.mui and ieframe.mui

also, i couldn't install drivers for my monitor once setup was complete. dunno if this is connected to the two missing files above. this has never happened on any of my vm installs so i have no idea what thats all about. i did one hfslip build yesterday installed with that and then another one again today. same thing.

good thing i didnt destroy my current running windows setup - screwed tho it may be :D

Those files are part of IE7. Can you verify that advpack.mu_ and ieframe.mu_ are present in SOURCESS\I386 and on your new CD/DVD?

Can you ZIP TXTSETUP.SIF and HFSLIPWU.INF from SOURCESS\I386?

>> also, i couldn't install drivers for my monitor once setup was complete.

I suppose you mean the video card drivers.

Which video card/chip are we talking about?

What's the exact problem? Do you get a successful install message at the end of the wizard (if you're using that)? Do you get an error message?

both files confirmed to be present. requested files attached.

regarding monitor drivers, cmon now, you don't think i'm that much of a n00b, do you ? :D

i really did mean monitor drivers, honest :D

i have an x800xl video card. the monitor is a viewsonic va1912w (19" wide screen lcd)

the problem is, the monitor is detected and installed as "default monitor"

the "properties" button in the "monitor" tab in advanced display properties is disabled/grayed out for some reason, hence i cannot update the drivers. when the ati video card drivers are installed, they automatically switch to the highest resolution supported (that being 1440x900) but the "default monitor" drivers are not capable of supporting that resolution, only the va1912w drivers, resulting in the monitor shutting itself off...

also, the monitor doesn't show up in device manager (devmgmt.msc) so I can't update its drivers that way either. weird scenario...

Edited by johndoe74

That's an awful lot of hotfixes you're slipstreaming.

Concerning those updates which don't appear on Windows Update, I have to say that by "supported" I mean that HFSLIP does what it's supposed to do: replace existing files and make the necessary changes to the registry. I don't have the time to actively test them on different systems so I can't say if any of those is buggy. Also, since the majority of them are non-public, they aren't tested as much as the public hotfixes which makes them more "vulnerable" to errors. What could also be the case is that the disabled Properties button is an intentional or known side effect of one or more of those extra updates.

Personally, I think that the problem lies with the media you're using to install Windows on your host PC. This includes a bad CD/DVD, a bad CD/DVD-ROM drive or controller, a program burning the disc the wrong way or an anti-virus application preventing the CD from being burned properly.

Which burning program are you using? Are you importing the ISO image or are you letting the burning program take care of making a CD bootable?

Have you tried disabling your anti-virus?

i know what you mean about those hotfixes - there are a lot - but that problem never showed up on the vm. and i did run this exact same setup on the vm (without running hfslip again) and everything went fine. i particularly check the monitor properties button and it was working

here's what i do by the way, after hfslip is finished, i use nlite to create the ISO, i use Nero to burn the image so separate programs all. for this particular setup, what i did was started the setup from within my current running windows i.e., from hard disk, so no outside media involved, then it rebooted the system for text mode copy so i guess we can rule out an antivirus issue also since there's none in textmode. did u check out those two files ? everything okay in there ?

Edited by johndoe74

I mean an AV running while the CD is being burned. Of course there's no AV running during txtmode copy....

I don't remember how VMWare does it, but MS Virtual PC remaps hardware to basic hardware (S3 Graphics, SB16, Intel NIC, etc). That could be why everything appears to be fine in the VM.

Have you tried letting nLite create an ISO of the SOURCE folder to see if the problem occurs like that too? Of course you won't get any copy errors but is the Properties button on the Monitor tab still disabled?

Have you tried not using nLite to create the ISO?

Everything seems OK with the files you attached. I'm not sure if the files with long names will copy fine if you initiate the install from Windows, though.

but i didn't even burn a CD this time. i started a new windows installation from my working windows direct from the sourcess folder (i386\winnt32.exe). windows setup then copied some files, rebooted system, then went into textmode file copy...

as for the files with the LFN, all but one was not copying but i didn't mention it because it was just an extra screensaver hence irrelevant.

Edited by johndoe74

i got a little bit of trouble with my partitions man. i boot off of a CD and setup tells me it can't find no compatible partitions to install windows on and asks me to format C, D or E, none of which I can afford to format - i got tons and tons of data there. i start setup from within windows and all goes well except for that little error up there :D

no, the hard disk is recognized. the partitions show up with the correct sizes and the correct space info - free and used - just windows doesnt wanna install on 'em without formatting them first - pretty weird. could it be cuz the drive is a SATA drive ? i have an EIDE drive too but i only use it for archiving etc. so it's not a primary partition capable of supporting windows installation

• 7 months later...