System Idle Process using 90+ CPU Usage

iceangel89

That is a good thing if your not running any apps at all.

What that shows is that the processor is not doing anything...its idle.

If your not running any apps and some strange process is taking up all your CPU cycles, it may be one indication of a virus or other malware (mind you, its only an indication and not proof).

Hope this helps....

T

iceangel89, you may want to try Process Explorer instead!

Process Explorer

Process Explorer is like Task Manager in Windows but much more advanced.

command /t will set Process Explorer to start minimize.

You can set the command /t in the shortcut and put the shortcut in

C:\"ProfileDirectory"\"USER"\Start-meny\Program\Autostart

In "USER" (your windows account), it will load it only for you but in All users it will load Process Explorer minimized mode for all users.

If you disable "CPU History in Tray Icon" in Process Explorer the it will be like this:

If CPU usage is under 70% the meter shows in green; if its between 70% and 90% it shows in yellow; if its above 90% it shows in red.

Also take a look at Process Utilities for ex Autoruns and Process Monitor.

Autoruns and Process Explorer are both a must in Windows and Process Monitor is a bit more advanced than what a normal power needs!

Autoruns will show you most of the crap that loads on windows startup and you can also load only 3rd party start-up entries!

Autoruns\Options\Hide Microsoft Entries

Tellign you this coz you seem careful about the system resources :)

so it means task manager is just giving me a inaccurate reading of the process?

and ya nuhi, seems like i became more interested to learn abt OS and develop automation to run my progs. currently trying a VB app to run progs unattended, like WIHU etc, except since i am learning VB in sch, trying the same thing with VB instead of other progs. lol :rolleyes:

found that i can easily do that with System.Diagnostic.Process.Start("/Prog.exe")

so it means task manager is just giving me a inaccurate reading of the process?

IDLE !

It's not a process that eats 95% of your ressources, it's just your processor is 95% buzy doing nothing. Means it's only 5% buzy doing something ! What's wrong with that ? Nothing.

You want the Idle process to show a high CPU usage, which actually means how much is free to be used. That means your system was healthy and not plagued by any rogue processes trying to slow your computer down, like that Windows Update problem that happened a few months back that was just recently "fixed."