inf files

mkmt

Hi

nlite arbitrarily removes original commentary from inf files

it can by dangerous

e.g. nlite removes all commentary from font.inf (e.g. ; CP 852/1250)

as a result windows requires windows installation CD if I change language in Language for non-Unicode programs

comments v inf files probably can be necessary in some cases

All of the comments are left in my files...

Hey wait a minute here COMMENTS that have been marked out with ; have no basis on programing or windows installations. They are just there for programing notes.

I don't agree

Use original windows and remove from file font.inf e.g. line ; CP 852/1250 and save file

now select Slovak language for non-Unicode programs in Regional and Language Options (in Advanced Tab) and press Apply button

Windows says: Please insert the Compact Disc labelled...

now restore line ; CP 852/1250 and save file

now again select Slovak in Regional and Language Options (in Advanced Tab) and press Apply button

Windows says: The required files are already installed on your hard disk. Setup can use these existing files...

i.e. I don't need installation CD

this is valid for all languages

also, if I run command sfc /scannow, Windows File Protection requires Windows installation CD

this isn't from my point of view normal behaviour

I only integrate hotfixes and don't make tweaks except Disable Ballon Tips and Remove Alexa

OS is Windows XP Pro SP2

; Um... they're just comments. How can they screw up your languages? :huh:

; They're just notes for programmers (or us geeks) as a guide.

I think you might have removed something you shouldn't have. Either that, or maybe the CD didn't copy correctly to your hard drive before nlite'ment??

; Um... they're just comments. How can they screw up your languages? :huh:

; They're just notes for programmers (or us geeks) as a guide.

I think you might have removed something you shouldn't have. Either that, or maybe the CD didn't copy correctly to your hard drive before nlite'ment??

no, nothing removed, copy from CD is OK

finally, you can try my example with font.inf (use font.inf from original CD and then font.inf from nlite CD )

another examle: if you install SNMP service from original installed system, you don't need installation CD

but if you use system installed from nlite CD, windows requires installation CD for successful installation SNMP service

exist a lot of similar examles

I work with nlite long time and in earlier versions nlite these problems don't exist

Edited by mkmt

This is windows file protection (checking CRCs of INFs?). I have noticed this behaviour also with latest versions of nlite (i.e. when replugging an USB device, with WFP not disabled, keeps asking for the Windows installation disk). I think there should be some checkmark in nLite to allow or disallow this behaviour (strip comments off INFs?). The space gain is not so big anyway (although the coments are mostly useless), but it poses a problem for people who want to leave WFP on.

GL

WFP is solved in the next one to some extent.

About INF files without comments causing signature issues it's just because the file was altered, not because of the missing commented line.

I'll see about it to be sure, maaybe they use comments in that file but I seriously doubt it, it's just signatures issue.

WFP is solved in the next one to some extent.

About INF files without comments causing signature issues it's just because the file was altered, not because of the missing commented line.

I'll see about it to be sure, maaybe they use comments in that file but I seriously doubt it, it's just signatures issue.

sorry, my mistake, it looks to be really signatures issue

but it is really necessary to change font.inf file when described problem(need installation CD for change language for non-unicode programs) arise?

It is when some files are removed from within.

But why would you change the languages more than once anyway, do it after Windows install while the CD is still in the drive.

It is when some files are removed from within.

But why would you change the languages more than once anyway, do it after Windows install while the CD is still in the drive.

I use also frequently software with other languages e.g. Russian

Edited by mkmt

Maybe I misunderstood the issue.

Do you always get that pop up when you switch to that language (using language bar?) or only once while adding it to the regional language list?

Maybe I misunderstood the issue.

Do you always get that pop up when you switch to that language (using language bar?) or only once while adding it to the regional language list?

you go ->Regional and Language Options->Advaced tab and switch language(for example Russian) in Language for non-Unicode Programs and press Apply

I removed that language so can't switch anyway but I saw some bug report that sometimes it doesn't switch even if the lang is kept, must be something removed like Text Services, I'll be checking this but don't hold your breath regarding the signatures, thank you.