Referenced Memory error

DrewWinters

Don't be too hard on yourself, it's not weird to choose AlwaysOn, what's weird is that it makes so much trouble.

I meant who would do that intentionally, so maybe it's best to remove the option. But year we'll start with the warning then if someone blames vLite for corrupting the memory again I remove it.

The error message is back, but it appears at a different time now. I don't see how it could be related to the NX bit, since that is now disabled at the BIOS and in Windows. So far it has only shown up in two places. Sporadically in Half Life 2; sometimes when the game starts to load a new area it crashes - not every time it loads, but it only crashes when it tries to load. Need For Speed Carbon Demo crashes every time it starts to load the game. That is, it makes it through the opening logos, but once past the EA logo, it crashes with the same error message.

Where as in every message before the first hex number was the same as the second hex number, this time they are different numbers:"...instruction at 0x775d1884 referenced memory at 0x000bffff."

Anyway, I doubt this is related to vLite... I've got the system overclocked now, so it is possible I'm generating memory errors now - but I doubt it, since it's passed hours and hours of stability testing, plus I don't think a speed-related memory error would be so repeatable (NFS Carbon is repeatable, but Half Life 2 is not...<shrug>)

EDIT: Overclocking is not the issue, I've tried stock settings and it changed nothing. Also, I tried compatibility mode and "Run as administrator" without any luck. Although, see my post above about "Run as Administrator" being greyed out in the compatibility menu.

Edited by DrewWinters

I think you are right - the only possibility is that this is related to the "run as administrator" issue - that is, that it is greyed out in the compatibility menu. I don't have a regular copy of Vista installed to check, is this supposed to be available? Is that any different than the "Run as Admin..." off the context menu?

I just read on [H]ardOCP that you have to run this game in Windows 98 compatibility mode to get it to work... I'm not at home to try it, but I'll bet that's the problem. So, it isn't Vlite's fault, it's EA Sport's fault.

EDIT: Verified, it was just the game, not Vlite. I'm not sure what was wrong with Half-Life2, but I'm pretty certain it was something similar. No worries!

Edited by DrewWinters