Unable to use SQL Server or netsh

jamieo

Hi, two separate problems after removing components but I'm unable to work out which components I need to keep.

1. Cannot install SQL Server Express 2005, either standalone or part of VS2005. Please see attached msi error log (dd_vserror80.txt) and sqlerr.png
  2. Any use of netsh results in the following message and the action not being performed: "The following helper DLL cannot be loaded: P2PNETSH.DLL."
    I've tried putting the file in the keep box within vLite (which is a challenge in itself, vLite keeps appending an example string so you end up with 'windows\system32\example.exewindows\system32\p2pnetsh.dll') but it makes no difference (although the file is available).
    Simple commands like listing settings works, other commands to actually configure settings do not.
    I've already tried keeping p2p, the only other one I can think of is Windows Collaboration which I'll try next unless you can advise otherwise...

Missing Help item from Start Menu

Additionally, the help item is now missing off the start menu using vLite 1.0b and cannot be re-enabled though the start menu properties box. I'm unsure if this is due to one of vLite's tweaks (which I do not use) or because I remove the help files component (this never occurred before 1.0b though). As help is still available for use after removal (pages loaded over web), I hope it's not the later. As for the former, I'm concerned vLite may write settings to enforce the default behaviours when a tweak is not used, I would hope vLite would not write any registry settings at all for a tweak when the setting is at it's default as this could override similar settings set elsewhere, also no settings from the tweaks page should ever be applied if that page was never used (which I don't), can you please confirm this is the case nuhi?

vLite sets two registry settings to forcibly remove the help item from the start menu:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Advanced]
"Start_ShowHelp"=dword:00000000
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer] <<<------THIS ONE IS BAD!
"NoSMHelp"=dword:00000001

The policy setting breaks the following setting I apply during installation. The other setting is fine, HKCU overrides HKLM in this case.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"Start_ShowHelp"=dword:00000001

Even though I've set the help item to be shown, it won't be as vLite's policy setting take priority. Even worse, this is not simple for the regular user to correct as the policy setting removes the option to add the item back. If vLite must remove the help item can it please use the 'Start_ShowHelp' tweak only, this allows my tweak applied later to overwrite/override it, as well as allowing it to be changed through the start menu's properties UI (the policy tweak disallows that). Policy settings such as above should not be used unless the user explicitly wants functionality locked out from the user.

Obviously the workaround for me is to delete vLite's settings when applying my own (which I've now done) - however, it's a little inconvenient to have to investigate reg settings and re-make an unattended dvd for such a small annoyance which can be easily avoided. Therefore, I wanted to raise the point so similar problems may be avoided in the future as I'm sure many people like me like to use reg files to set up their environment so vLite has to consider settings being made externally. Also, it's not cool to restrict the UI options through policies anyway. ;)

Unattended Settings

Similar to the tweaks page, the unattended page seems to set some stuff even though I do not use that page (I only remove components then apply).

These are the settings applied:

[Unattended]
RegTimeCurr = 60
RegKeyboard = 147
TimeZone = 27

I don't know what the numbers mean or if they even get written anywhere (I guess my unattend.xml will overwrite them anyway) but it's a little worrying to find these settings on the vista disc (in Last Session_u.ini) when I've never even loaded that tab! I'm concerned the settings above (which may not match my locale) could be used if I installed Vista normally without using my own unattended.xml?

Thanks,

Jamie.

dd_vserror80.txt

post-33948-1180374814_thumb.png

Last_Session.ini

Edited by jamieo

Ok, will check the first part about p2pnetsh.dll, it's some dependency. Weird that even if file is there it didn't work.

It is collaboration.

Not to remove Help button by default...got ya, will do.

That last part about [unattended], don't worry it's just saved in the preset. If the page isn't activated it doesn't do it.

Thanks for clearing that nuhi, any ideas how to get SQL Server installed?

Btw, it would be ok to remove help button as part of help (which can make sense) as long as you don't set the policy to stop it being added back.

Thanks for the link ripken204, I don't think that's it but I can't test it as there's no MSI installer for Vista. Does seem weird that an installer that previously worked does not now. Esp. as the file referenced is part of the same package (ie, it shouldn't be part of the vista installation).

Jamie

Could be one of these:

Performance Counters

Reliability and Performance Monitor

Those counters are tricky and may need one or two dlls saved. Since that log doesn't show which I'll try it these days, thx.

Ok, thanks. I can confirm keeping collaboration enables netsh configuration. :)

The log isn't too helpful I know, it only references a file the installer is supposed to install!!

Jamie