Unable to share files on computer

My computer (desktop HP P4 3GHz with XP Home SP2), has some kind of software issue that doesn't allow other computers to see shared files or the shared printer. It gets listed on the Mshome network, but when selected it gives the error message:

"\\thisComputer is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found". The last part of the error message may say also "The semaphore timeout period has expired."

I am currently using wired and wireless (with a 2Wire router) connections, both work perfectly to connect to the Internet, and the desktop can access other computer's files (at this moment only a laptop with XP), but only to read. I have tried disabling the firewalls on both computers (Zone Alarm, Windows), but nothing changed. When on another network with a different (wired) router, the same thing would happen with the desktop, therefore it's not a router or its firewall thing. Both computers are configured to be assigned IP addresses automatically, as well as the DNS server address, DHCP is enabled and the default gateway is the router. Both have different names on the network and can ping each other. They are on the same workgroup and use the subnet 255.255.255.0. For me it looks like some part of XP got corrupted on the desktop, but there's no way I will reinstall it. Does anybody knows of something else I can do before giving up on this? I tried HP's tech support, but reinstalling XP comes up very fast.

I don't understand how turning off simple file sharing will make file sharing work. Where would I do that? I went to Properties for the connection and unchecked the File and Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks, but as I expected things got worse: now I can't see the laptop's files. Is this the simple sharing you mentioned?

no no enable "File and Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks" again

simple file sharing is from Control panel > Folder option > View tab you will find it in the list.

but i think this not the problem, i'd tried the following and worked for me:

first you have to run Network setup wizard and share the folders you want.

second do the following:

start menu > run > regedit

HKey Local Machine

System

CurrentControlSet

Control

Lsa

Look at the right side:

double click on restrictanonymous

set value = 0

Edited by grafx1

Hmmm, nothing yet. I didn't have to change anything on the registry, but when I re-enabled file and print sharing on both, interestingly, the laptop could see the desktop. When I try to access it, though, it gives the error "\\desktopName is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found."

I tried to ping each other and it all went well, so the mystery continues...

I tried then net view, it worked fine with the laptop, but not with the desktop -- with the desktop's name or its IP address, either a system error 64 or a system error 121 occurs. If I try net view with the router's IP address, an error 53 occurs.

Edited by rjacobsen