Weird issue with explorer

underdone

I have a fully updated WinXP system on a server 2003 domain with redirected desktop, application data, and my documents folders. Every once and a while I will get this weird problem where, when I am in explorer it will "rename" all of the folders on the desktop to "desktop". But, as you can see from the picture I attached if you click on one of the folders name "desktop" you can see the real name of the folder on the address bar. This problem is difficult to recreate on purpose, sometimes the problem sticks around after I logon and logoff, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes the problem magically goes away without me doing anything. I'm completely stumped by this one, and ideas on what to try are greatly appreciated.

screenshotix1.th.jpg

This is purely guesswork, but I'd say that the problem is redirecting your desktop.

The desktop isn't really a normal folder the same as others, it's more like a virtual directory. You shouldn't really be storing items on the desktop in any case, it should contain only links /shortcuts to items stored elsewhere.

To be honest I cannot really see any benefit in redirecting %appdata% either.

630Meg compressed files on a desktop that's on a network share ? I'd say this is a display refresh problem and a bad idea because this will slow everything. Your antivirus for instance will be scanning these files constantly.

This is purely guesswork, but I'd say that the problem is redirecting your desktop.

The desktop isn't really a normal folder the same as others, it's more like a virtual directory. You shouldn't really be storing items on the desktop in any case, it should contain only links /shortcuts to items stored elsewhere.

To be honest I cannot really see any benefit in redirecting %appdata% either.

My main reason for redirecting those 3 folders is because they tend to be the largest folders in a users profile. By redirecting them i can avoid them having to be downloaded and/or checked for new files every time the user logs on. This is especially true since my users switch between computers frequently.

I'm not entirely sure that the folder redirection is causing the problems. Although it definately isn't impossible that it is. However it is a supported feature in both XP and 2003 through group policy. Also, I have yet to see this problem with any other users.

630Meg compressed files on a desktop that's on a network share ? I'd say this is a display refresh problem and a bad idea because this will slow everything. Your antivirus for instance will be scanning these files constantly.

Interesting point. This particular users My Documents is around 60GB! right now. That's a good idea about the antivirus, unfortunately the funding necessary for antivirus has yet to arrive. :realmad: But, I will definately have to keep an eye on that when I do put antivirus out. Could cause a huge amount of unnecessary network traffic.

Edited by underdone

Interesting point. This particular users My Documents is around 60GB! right now. That's a good idea about the antivirus, unfortunately the funding necessary for antivirus has yet to arrive. :realmad: But, I will definately have to keep an eye on that when I do put antivirus out. Could cause a huge amount of unnecessary network traffic.

You realize that there is free anti-virus software out there, don't you? If not permanently, then at least until something official arrives. Not having anti-virus is a baaad idea if you ask me.

You realize that there is free anti-virus software out there, don't you? If not permanently, then at least until something official arrives. Not having anti-virus is a baaad idea if you ask me.

I agree with you completely. But, it isn't that far off until I can get antivirus for all of these computers (NOD32 :thumbup ). But for now, I'm realying on the fact that many of the viruses out there are based on security holes that have already been patched.

Edited by underdone

My main reason for redirecting those 3 folders is because they tend to be the largest folders in a users profile. By redirecting them i can avoid them having to be downloaded and/or checked for new files every time the user logs on.

As already stated, this should not be the case for the desktop. A good desktop should only contain shortcuts. Aside from that, I would tend to think it is downloaded every time the user logs on as every object does appear on the screen, so there is no purpose to the operation causing your problem. I guess the solution is not far.

Having a large amount of data in My Documents isn't a problem, nor should mapping the My Documents folder. The desktop and appdata, however, like Yzowl said, probably are best of left locally. appdata should only contain program settings or licence keys, but not anything user-related.

I'd try removing those from the network shares and seeing if the problem goes away. Just tell your users to only save files in their My Documents folder. Saving things to desktop is sloppy. :P

As already stated, this should not be the case for the desktop. A good desktop should only contain shortcuts. Aside from that, I would tend to think it is downloaded every time the user logs on as every object does appear on the screen, so there is no purpose to the operation causing your problem. I guess the solution is not far.

I agree on the desktop, although I tend to use my desktop as a space for whatever project(s) I happen to be working on at that time. I don't think that the files on the desktop are downloaded every time the user logs on because the computer is only loading the basic information about the files. Kind of like how when you browse through a network drive it isn't downloading all of the files in the folders that you look at.

Having a large amount of data in My Documents isn't a problem, nor should mapping the My Documents folder. The desktop and appdata, however, like Yzowl said, probably are best of left locally. appdata should only contain program settings or licence keys, but not anything user-related.

I'd try removing those from the network shares and seeing if the problem goes away. Just tell your users to only save files in their My Documents folder. Saving things to desktop is sloppy. :P

I'm going to give the non-redirected appdata folder a shot, but it is going to be tough as the redirected folders reside in a separate folder structer than the regular profiles. But, when I have an apropriate time to give it a shot I will let you guys know how it goes.
This has to be the best first post ever.

Haha, I didn't even notice that it was his first post.

I also noticed one other thing that might or might not help with this weird issue. If the user browses to the desktop through a shortcut on the startbar (? thing at the bottom with start button on it) the folders are their correct name, the folders on the desktop themselves are also named correctly. So, it only shows up when viewing the desktop folder list from an explorer window.