Hi! I'm new here! what is this forum all about?

ohmss006

ahh i see, well, the internet is ever so full of suprises, im sure u are very aware of that as well that u would have experience some of these stuff.

again, anyone else may i ask, can help me answer some of my questions that i asked above?

also may i ask, what else am i to expect that might prevent me while installing Win98 onto my system?

OMG! That's some nice system! From what I understand, even if you're successful in getting Windows 98SE to run on that you'll only use one of your processor core's. And Direct X 10 isn't going to happen either. You'll be lucky to get drivers that'll run a PCIx videocard. And that huge amount of memory might cause problems even with all work arounds applied.

So, I don't think so. But good luck trying.

Yes, you'll need an anti-virus scanner installed and running. A software firewall too, unless you use a router as a firewall. You can be attacked successfully just by being connected to the internet without any browser being open. Less likely on 98SE since most attacks these days are designed to take advantage of the way NT operating systems process things, but still a possibility. Kapersky is a known excellent virus scanner, so no problem there. I've usually used McAfee but I'm a glutton for punishment I guess! Don't know whether Kapersky still updates for 98 but check it out to be sure. If not, Avast or AVG are fine choices that are still 98 compatible. Free, too!

If you like Windows you'll have far less difficulties if you just bite the wallet and get Vista, or at least XP Pro SP2, and run your 98 in either VMWare or VirtualPC (VMWare being the better choice, but not free like VirtualPC is). Sorry, but that's simply a truth and in no way diminishes my love for Windows 98SE.

Yes, the Auto-Patcher is a great way to make sure you're giving 98SE what it needs to be fully up to date. Some of the other projects around here are attempting to go further towards your goal of getting the latest do dads and programs, looks, etc, running on Windows 98SE. Those are used after first getting 98SE updated using the Auto-Patcher. 98SE2ME (if you have a Windows Me cd) and 98MP10 are also extremely helpful and I always used those as well (after the Auto-Patcher did it magic first).

It's not going to be easy on that hardware. Nothing to stop you from trying though. Keep us all posted on your experience.

OMG! That's some nice system!

woah...you just realised my system specs? even though u posted after i wrote them? hehehehehe.

i am aware it will only use and recognize one of the cores, but as i mentioned before, i am thinking of starting a thread called 'Wanted! on those who wants Microsoft Windows 98(SE) running on Dual-Core processors', as in the 2 cores! hoping to get modders and kernal writers or whoever that wants to dedicate their time on making Windows 98 recognise the 2 cores on CPUs. would u like to help? :D

for now, i only have a 7600GT which is a PCIx card correct, should i just install everything in (hardware) then smack i a Windows 98 CD? and see what happens? i looked at my box of it and it says Drivers for XP, 2000, ME i think and NT. any hopes?

and again about the memory, even with the work arounds (which i am trying to find around here) what problems should i expect then? how can i install the OS if it wont allow me to from the boot section?

and Kaspersky should be able to be alright for my system, although i know for a fact that F-secure still does updates for Windows98 appratly, this is wt i read from a BBC site wen Microsoft announces no more support for the beloved operating system.

although i really really want to use windows 98 on my new computer, all this is making think 'why not just use XP?' which kinda irratates me, cause i want Windows 98SE on my computer!

i will make a new thread asking for help from those who can help me do the work arounds when installing the operating system on a fresh computer with these specs. i cannot find any, unless what i have to ask for them.

also wen i do finally install the operating system, Autopatcher is the main thing first right?

then i will put in 98SE2ME, which maybe help me install some of the later drivers that cannot be installed on a Win98 machine? am i correct?

...anything else would i need to do after that?

although i do want to install IE6 with every update and so on, possible too?

Dual-Core Windows 98!!!

Yeah, I'm the guy who gets the joke a half hour later. It's just that I read your specs with a bit more interest the second time around.

Really, most of those questions would be answered just by your browsing around the forum. Do your research and you just might succeed.

You'll likely need to do the memory optimizations immediately just to get the system to boot with all that memory. If you're lucky. 98SE will at least start to the desktop after the install so you can do it in the GUI using sysedit. If not you'll need to edit from the command prompt only using the dos edit program in the Windows\Command folder. It's in the path so you'll likely just need to type edit system.ini to open it.

ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1

DMABufferSize=64

MinSPs=16

MaxPhysPage=40000

Those lines go at the end of the 386Enh section

MaxFileCache=393216

That line goes in the vcache section

So the MaxPhysPage=40000 limits 98SE memory use to 1 Gigabyte so it won't throw up. And the MaxFileCache=393216 fixes more crash problems with over 512MB of memory installed. The other stuff stops Windows from swapping everything to the hard drive, making it use the memory instead, and increases stability by leaving more room for other stuff than the 98 default settings allow.

Then you reboot (unless you did all that in the GUI, in which case you do this before rebooting) and set the System Properties advanced page, changing from Desktop Computer to Network Server (even if you only have a desktop computer).

I would then get your motherboard chipset drivers installed and restart again. I wouldn't bother with the rest of your drivers until after running the Auto-Patcher. In fact you're better off if you disable your onboard sound or remove the soundcard, disable the ethernet in the bios, and keep all USB stuff disconnected until you're all updated. Just have your monitor, keyboard, and mouse hooked up and nothing else when installing Windows. Then proceed as above. Then install the rest of your hardware drivers, and then 98SE2ME (if you have a Windows Me cd) and 98MP10.

These days with XP, Vista, or Linux I have everything installed and turned on that I'll want to use but that stuff can really confuse and wreak havoc on a 98SE installation as it doesn't have native drivers for any of it, nor the motherboard chipset drivers to deal with properly even setting up unknown devices (or known devices, until you install the chipset drivers and do the Auto-Patcher).

The Auto-Patcher will take care of Internet Explorer, WMP, Direct X, and about a million other things needed. Just go through each section of it and toggle on or off what you want or don't want and then watch in amazement as it installs stuff, restarts the computer, installs more stuff, restarts your computer, many times over before it's done.

Read, read, read all over these forums and use the Search to find particular things. You should do all that before starting your thread so you have a good idea about how most of this stuff works.

Utilize the mdgx.com website to learn more. Don't worry about downloading much as most of what is needed is in the Auto-Patcher. However, there are many tutorials and there is much information that'll help you.

Have fun! (You'd better think of this as fun, as troubles and stumbling blocks are bound to occur.)

You've got XP? Why do I have the feeling that's what you'll end up with? That board is fully Vista ready too. Funny enough, it's probably too new for some of the current Linux distro's. But some of the latest released ones with newer Kernels could likely deal with it.

You'll be lucky to get drivers that'll run a PCIx videocard.

Didn't the nVidia drivers that were recently discovered offer support for some PCI Express cards?

If you like Windows you'll have far less difficulties if you just bite the wallet and get Vista, or at least XP Pro SP2, and run your 98 in either VMWare or VirtualPC

It is foolish to get a new Windows version before at least SP1. Not to mention that XP SP2 is more mature, will still be supported for five years, and is less demanding.

i looked at my box of it and it says Drivers for XP, 2000, ME i think and NT.

Unless there's a retarded version check on the installer, installing the drivers will probably work fine on Win98 SE.

Yes I've kept tabs on that thread regarding the PCI Express widescreen supporting Nvidia drivers. That should help this fellow out since the official 81.98 didn't support the latest models and PCIx.

Vista's fine, and that's the one that'll be given attention to by hardware and software developers now. With his RAM and processor it'll fly. I run it with my specs and it's still fine.

Now if he has a copy of XP SP2 already there's no big need for going for Vista immediately, but if he has neither I would skip over XP and just buy Vista.

But that's besides what he'd really like to do. If he gets his games going with 98SE running that machine he's gonna beat everyone on the internet! 98SE really stays out of the way so his gaming performance should be incredible. I remember my friend's old Porshe. He would put it into drive and we'd zoom away! Give it gas and we'd be waving to folks flying by in 747's.

With his RAM and processor it'll fly

please do remember that i do intend to overclock the RAM, so would i need to make othe adjustments in Sysedit?

and also with wha u have noted me with that, with those numbers, are tose the only ones that will help me bypass it? or will it help me use the full power of the RAM itself? thus, where do you get them?

again, also remember, i do intend to overclock my CPU, and wanting to gain a good overclock. any changes now may i ask?

as much that i love windows 98, i will admit, the only thing that is holding me back for abit, is the fact that it will not recognise the 2 Cores in my CPU.

and i'll say again just to make it much clearer to myself, with all these workarounds, will it actually help e use the full power and potential of the hardware that i have?

wow, really? i know you are on the sarcastic term i assume, but will it really be flying fast?? as in computer wise :D hehe.

You haven't been doing your reading, which makes me think you might be better off going to the store and buying a pc. Then if it doesn't perform you can pester the manufacturer.

What, were you quoting yourself then calling it sarcastic?

Lots of memory optimization for Windows 98SE is available here in these threads and on the mdgx.com site. You've been pointed there before and wouldn't have asked about the particular numbers if you had been reading. No, those aren't written in stone but most testing for both reliability and performance have made them what is placed in the system.ini by most of the 98SE tweaks in the update programs around here.

Most would use your amounts of memory for an XP, Vista, or Linux system then put limits, as I described, to 98SE use of memory since limiting memory will allow 98SE to startup and operate. Limiting it to a gig usually works, and on some motherboards it needs to be limited to 512MB.

If using Windows 98SE as the only operating system then purchasing more than 512MB of RAM is actually pretty pointless in my view. Usually greater amounts are purchased because the operator will be dual-booting with newer operating systems. In fact, purchasing the system you've described is huge overkill if all you want to run it is Windows 98SE.

Please search and read first, then ask questions.

well, i definatly will not buy a computer off a computer store, cause i now already have all my parts and i am actually building it as i speak.

i have of course taken your advice and have been doing some searching, but i will admit that i am having difficulty, i even went to windows tips and tweaks and made a thread there about win98Se on 2GB of RAM, and yet not replies, probably im asking in the wrong place.

i to think i was being sarcastic, i think we are all, right? please prove me correct or wrong.

and right now, i am checking out mdgx.com, ought to have 150pages of crack for the PC :D Excellent.

i am hearing alot of XP here, as it is tempting me very much to install it instead of windows 98SE, i want the power in which XP can recognize and can be passed onto 98SE.

also, i hear of Limiting as well, does that mean that when limiting memory, u are like pushig it down to the fact where the operating system can recognize it or something? Remember....i have 2GB of RAM! going on 4GB...and thats what i am starting with, fresh.

ohmss006 :hello: :

- MSFN is not known for encouraging "flame-fests", so please be nice and do not assume anyone is "going there"

- With your specs, you are being encouraged to AFAIK RTFM (no offense intended; just a euphamism), i.e. look around in MSFN, to overcome problems in utilizing Win98SE on your MOBO; do so and all will be well ;)

- It is im-poss-i-ble to expect your MOBO to utilize all resources with Win98SE - trust the experts!

- WinXP Home will not utilize both CPU's, only 1... go with XP-Pro, 2k3, or Vista; If you do that, then go for Virtual PC (free) running "on top of" one of the three or dual-boot...

Peace, brutha!!!

well, i wasnt 'going there' whatsoever, i dont know where that came from, i was intentionally being nice, as i assume though.

i have tried going round here to look for possible answers and using the search as well, but i hardly find anything direct to my questions. that is why i would rather prefer to ask them seperately, and to concentrate on them individually, thus i would gain better knowlege and a better performance on my almost complete PC with windows 98SE.

and about my Motherboard, remember, it is an Asus P5b Deluxe, and wen u say it wont utilize all hte resources on it, does that mean that i wont gain hte full power of it?

as well as when coming to 'limiting' the memory? my mobo can take upto 8GB of RAM.

what do you think? does that help may i ask?

P.S. i hear XP again! :D

Heh heh he, more pages than that probably! ROFL

I remember the old advice for 98 was that past 64MB of RAM, adding more had less and less benefits as opposed to adding more up to that point. It's just that with todays operating systems and software we do need to bulk up on the memory and processor speed.

With those numbers you're putting in there the more you add the less likely 98 will even be able to bootup.

I have no idea what you mean regarding sarcasm but it seems you enjoy the word so I'll leave it alone.

At any rate, good luck! Post up your results when you get it all installed and, hopefully, running.

I think you'd be better off just lurking around all the forums and reading lots and lots of threads. You'll find links to interesting stuff as more was discussed about 98 than just about any other software out there. A lot was just different theories on how to get the darned thing to run stable. The mix of a 16 bit base with 32 bit stuff fooling its base that it's 16bit and the limits to GDI resources made for quite a lot of yapping on the internet and whole books were written.

I know you've been looking around, but less posting and more reading on your own might be more helpful to you. Until you have a specific problem to report, nobody really knows how to answer you questions. All we've got is really, "we don't know if it'll work. Why don't you try it first and report back?"

So I'm not surprised that you haven't gotten a lot of response to starting up threads. You're not asking questions anyone can answer. Have some specific problem, know your details, search first around for someone who had the problem previously (you've got about 8 years of stuff to help you) and then open up a thread with something an experienced 98 person can sink their teeth into.

ohmss006 :hello: :

- WinXP Home will not utilize both CPU's, only 1... go with XP-Pro, 2k3, or Vista; If you do that, then go for Virtual PC (free) running "on top of" one of the three or dual-boot...
P.S. i hear XP again!

You had mentioned previously just going to XP... just giving info on the Dual-Core utilization. And my response intended that if you were to go that route, VPC would allow you to install and run Win98SE on top of XP (within VPC)...

Peace, bubba... and do as Eck suggests. You will get to your goal a lot faster! ;)