Windows XP Activation Backup Problem

Hello all.

I've bought recently a cd of WinXP home oem and i've tried all i could remember (read all i could find on the net) to backup my activation.

I've tried the OEM files from the crappy recovery cds (and no, i haven't used the serial on the sticker but the one that is really used) and i've tried

to backup the wpa.dbl and wpa.bak without any success. When i install windows it always complains that i need to activate it :realmad:

I've tried putting the wpa.??? files on the $OEM$ folder, i've tried compressing them and putting them directly on I386 but nothing :realmad:

If it helps the cd comes with sp2 pre-installed (or slipstreamed if you prefer) and the files have a modified date of 28-02-2006.

Does anyone have a clue how i could backup the activation?

You seem to be confusing technologies. For a time you could back up WPA.DBL, reinstall Windows, restore WPA.DBL, and your system would be activated so long as nothing changed from before. This would have been handy for Retail or Single User OEM editions but is not the least bit useful for VLK or OEM SLP installs that will preactivate if everything is right.

Having system restore CD's I suspect you have a brand name PC which should preactivate. If so then you should build an install CD in this fashion.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=63258

The best solution is to create your cd from oem disc.

I like to test things out in VMware. For most things that does not need activation but if I want to check that things are up to date in Windows Update I do have to activate. After some number of such activations you get the pleasure of calling MS (been there, done that).

As noted, backing up WPA after a successful installation is not enough. So is there a way of preserving the activation status of a virtual machine under these circumstances?

Ok .... i think i have already tried what you suggest.

I have access to the oem files and the correct key to install windows.

The thing is that the XP Home OEM cd that i bought (so i can install windows not just use the crappy recovery CDs) comes with a XP that identifies as: Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158 : Service Pack 2).

It just doesn't work and thats it. I think i will have to download an image of an older XP cd so i can do what i want.

The thing is .... the xp that came with my notebook is in Portuguese and i live in Portugal, but i want the English version of windows, plus i hate the recovery CDs. Plus i really need the whole thing to be completely legal.

Maybe i will just download a pre SP1 image, slipstream SP2 and use the activation files of the one i have (backup wpa files so the serial matches) .... if it works.

Anyway, thank you for your help and insight, once i try it i will tell you how it went.