Replace Windows Vista (Normal Bootscreen)

Hi guys,

I am wondering....

Ifi were to edit the ntoskrnl.exe and ntkrnlpa.exe and make a bootscreen image (ie vista ultimate logo) how would i replace the out-of-box resources with the custom ones so that windows actually has a bootscreen (like xp)? I did read there is only a few options and those are mostly windows related.... I really dont like using the NOGUI Bootscreen because it seems like the OS boots slower then it does with the normal boot screen.

EDIT: Also when i replaced those resources when i restarted windows said something about the digital signature couldnt be verified....

heres what the MSDN site says...

Windows File Protection

Windows Vista: Not supported.

Replacement of WFP-protected system files is supported only through the following mechanisms:

Windows Service Pack installation using Update.exe

Hotfixes installed using Hotfix.exe

Operating system upgrades using Winnt32.exe

Windows Update

Replacing protected files by means other than these specified methods results in the original files being restored by WFP.

heres the link to the above quote..

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa382540.aspx

I have tried to replace the mentioned files before and so far i havent been able to get it to work, i always end up having to "Repair Windows." Could i mount the Install.WIM using ImageX and take the files from there and edit them with PE Explorer???

Any help is appreciated guys!!

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Computerpro2

• 11 months later...

The login animation is located in the file "authui.dll" in windows system32.

But in order to edit it you have to clame ownership of the file...

You can try it to get it the normal way ...or you can create a regfile that will appear in youre right mouse button "take ownership"

That you can use all the time.

In order to edit the "authui.dll" you make a copy of it.

The copy you can edit, you can rename the original to "1authui.dll"

Theloginanimation.jpg

You can edit the file with resource tuner.

This is all good but you should be aware that you would be in breach of OEM guidelines if you do this in a commercial environment.

The regfile...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]

@="Take Ownership"

"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas\command]

@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]

@="Take Ownership"

"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]

@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"

"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Dreamer2003