Need some input on Wireless

Phurious

I am trying to help out my father-in-law by pre-configuring a wireless router and mailing it to him. Ideally, I would also like to pre-configure the preferred wireless network settings and mail him a REG file so he may do a one-click install, and I won't have to spend an hour on the phone walking him through it. Problem is, I cannot seem to find where in the registry XP is storing the wireless network settings so I may export. Anyone have any ideas?

TIA

Thanks for the fast reply. Okay, given the information you provided, what if I created the connection using a Linksys USB wireless adapter, then sent the adapter along with the router. Then I would have the same driver and connection info. Where would I pull the settings from?

settings are stored per user - so I don't think this is going to work at all the way you want it to. Your best bet is to preconfigure the router using whatever security encryption method you desire, and then send the hardware onto it's destination with step-by-step instructions on how to get it working on his machine.

The router configuration is already complete. So waht I am hearing is there is NO way to preconfigure preferred wireless networks in XP and copy them to another machine? It seems reasonable that you should be able to - even if the settings are user specific. If I use the exact same wireless adapter (In fact THE wireless adapter I am shipping him) and connect to the router I configure, and then export the network settings from the reg (If anyone can tell me where they are), even if it is under HKU his machine should not care IMHO.

I have an idea... what about using that Networking Wizard that comes with XP? You know, the one none of us tech heads ever use? I think it stores settings on a floppy so that you can import them to another machine, doesn't it?