Getting XP theme in VM, but classic interface on a real machine

straytoasters

Using HFslip 1.4.1, using same .iso for VM and real machine (using DVD not actual .iso on real machine...but duh). I removed a couple of folders like the win9x upgrade folders and such. When I get a chance i will rebuild with the complete root from a WinXP CD, but in the mean time does anyone know why I would get standard XP interface on a VM (Virtual Box) but classic interface on a real machine? I have .net 3 in the hfguirun once and it failes on both installs. I will figure out the why of the .net 3 later, I am just mentioning that in case it is in any way relevent.

So, any thoughts, anyone else experienced this?

Straytoasters

OK, I made a DVD from the .iso and installed in both a VM and RM. The VM boots as regular XP interface (green start menu/two column), the RM boots as XP classic (grey start menu/one column I think (it may have been two column)).

I can go into themes set the theme to regular XP and it will stay after reboot, but I just dont know why I am getting different start interfaces from the same DVD. It does say "modified" when I go into themes and change it. Its just weird. The VM is Virtual Box 1.3.8 and the RM is a Dell Optiplex GX260 (fat style) and is close to three years old.

Straytoasters

Reinstalling again to check, not sure what you mean by default handling. IE7=yes (installed, WMP11 also), if by default handling you mean does IE7 look all blocky and square, yes, I believe so, but reinstalling again to check for sure.

OHHH, I just realized something. I need to make another ISO (different build) to check something. Toss me some suggestions if you have any, and I will report back after my new expirement.

OK, here's what I got after my last experiment. See I had been adding in the BTS drivers but not using the BTS intergrator. The BTS intergrator does work, but I was just trying to avoid a step and just toss the uncompressed BTS drivers in HFEXPERT\DRIVERCAB and hoping for the best. Childish...yes, a shot in the dark...yes, but I was trying it anyway. Anyhow the problem seems to have been that I was actually placing the uncompressed BTS drivers in a HFEXPERT\CODECS folder (yeah, thats what my OHHH was about a while ago). I dont know why that would cause the XP vs Classic thing I was seeing, I figured they would more or less just be ignored, but putting the BTS drivers in \DRIVERCAB seems to have fixed it. The BTS drivers did not install, but I can run the BTS intergrator on the sourcess folder once the HFslip build is done (did it before and it worked fine). I need to do a little bit more expermention before I declare victory, but I seem to have a solution.

By the way, I slipstream IE7 in, hope that answers the question.