Printer sharing?

ThatGuy

are you on a router? you would have to forward a port on ur router so that you can connect to your comp from an outside comp. from them you will probably be able to network the printer also.

you could also set up a VPN with a program such as hamachi.

I'd suggest using a VPN solution or remote desktop. You'll have to use File and Print Sharing though (any specific reason why you want to avoid it?).

I've got Hamachi installed on all of my computers. My printer is connected to my home server, and I can print to my printer from anywhere using that exact setup. :)

Windows file and printer sharing? Well, problem is, I'm on a pretty complicated network, and I want the printer and/printers to be available to only select few systems, (3 to be exact), and not 40+ (this is a public wireless network in a large metro area which I have to manage) Sometimes there are 60+ users connected. With windows file & printer sharing, once it's on, printer is available anywhere and there is no sure way to secure it externally (public access points) or to block unwanted internal print requests. As you can imagine, this being a public wireless network in a very large North American city, I get all kinds of jokers, kiddies, and wannabe hackers on a daily basis.

You can most definitely restrict who can print to the printer, especially since it's connected directly to a PC. If it were attached directly to the network then anyone with the IP address could print to it, but since it's connected to a PC you can control it.

In Printers and Faxes, right click on your printer and you'll notice a Security tab. On that tab you can remove 'Everyone' and then give access to those you want to print.

If you're not in a domain things get a little more complicated, but still not impossible.

What nmX.Memnoch said about the Security tab is all that you need to restrict use of the printers to certain users.

Would it be possible to put the three computers on their own internal network? If you were to "hide" those computers and the printer behind another router or firewall, you'd essentially block off access from the rest of the open wireless network.