Force Vista profile for Vista users

I have 1 user that uses WinXP and Vista. I want him to use the same details as he would when he logons to XP and when he logs onto Vista - currently he has the settings i want for XP but when he goes onto a Vista PC they dont takeeffect even when i have configured Vista settinsg settinsg from a Vista machine. Can anyone advise?

Thanks

Vista and XP/2003 profiles are not compatible - you'll notice this specifically with roaming profiles (Vista profiles are .v2, and XP/2000 profiles are v1). You can get around this to a point with folder redirection on shell folders that can be redirected, but otherwise you're out of luck.

Ok what if i take a different approach - is there a way to stop a user logging onto a certain machine by their user name?

i.e.

User WinXP WinVista

------------------------------

John Y N User can logon to XP but not vista machine

John N Y User can logon to Vista but not XP machine

This way i can give the user a separate username for vista as its not fully deployed yet.

Thanks

Ok what if i take a different approach - is there a way to stop a user logging onto a certain machine by their user name?

Yes, this can be done on the Account tab of the user account properties...except that it's the reverse of your question. Using the Log On Too... feature you specify which machines the account can login to, not which ones it can't. The only thing is you have to do it by computer name, not by the OS.

You could put the computer accounts for Vista and XP in separate OUs (based on OS), and create two domain groups - one for Vista users, and one for XP users. Add the users you want to use only Vista machines into the Vista group, and do the same for XP users. Then, in each OS GPO, deny log on locally for each group you want to keep from logging onto a particular OS, and that would do it.

Example:

Domain
|
|
| - Vista OU
| |
| | - Vista GPO (deny log on locally for users in the XP users group)
|
| - XP OU
| |
| | - XP GPO (deny log on locally for users in the Vista users group)

It isn't pretty, but it should work - it'll only allow users in the Vista users group to log on to Vista OU machines, and only users in the XP users group to log on to XP OU machines.