WEIRD STUFF With START BUTTON

gtaro

Hey everyone how's it going? I have some weird stuff going on here. My START BUTTON (NOT MENU STYLE) changes from the XP Style button back to the CLASSIC button randomly while I am using my Laptop, the screen will just flicker and poff it switches between the two button styles. I have ran every antivirus and spamware software out there and found that the computer is not infected.. Any advice or help anyone.. Its really weird... really weird.

Sounds like the Themes Service is starting and stopping at random. I've never heard of that myself.

Click Start > Run > services.msc > check to see what Themes is set to. It should be Started and Automatic if you're using themes.

Sounds like the Themes Service is starting and stopping at random. I've never heard of that myself.

Click Start > Run > services.msc > check to see what Themes is set to. It should be Started and Automatic if you're using themes.

My fix would probably go one step further. I'd just disable themes completely and see if things stabilize.

It's one of those redundant services that just take up resources anyway, when its running.

I just checked on Themes in "Services.msc" and there are NO dependencies for it.

So nothing should be turning it on and off or causing it to change.

Big mystery!

B)

Well, despite us techs liking the professional look of Classic XP, some general users (my in-law included) can't go without the bells and whistles. My in-law asked me if something "was wrong" with her PC's sound because I removed the XP start-up and shutdown sound files from C:\WINDOWS\Media.

Besides, just going with Classic isn't exactly fixing the problem. Who knows, later on down the road some other more critical services could act up as well, and telling him to simply disable them would be utterly pointless.

Make sure your video drivers are up-to-date, and if so, try reinstalling them.

Make sure noone is hacking into your PC and messing around with things. :P