Network Drive Mapping Security

Twisted Maniac

hello ppl, i have a question;

i have a test setup for the following:

i want to share a folder on pc1, this folder is named Software.

On pc2 i connect to that folder with network drive mapping, so far so good.

but now i want to set security levels for that folder, like: user_a, or computer_a has acces to the software folder but user_b, or computer_b doesn't, now...i know how to do this in win2k but i'm lost in winXp (i am NOT talkin about local accounts :rolleyes:)

both machines are running WinXP Pro on a NTFS partition and i'm using a workgroup atm.

could the problem be that i use a workgroup instead of a domain? in win2k that did not really matter but it may be different in winxp...not sure though....

if any1 can help....TnX :)

Hello,

NTFS 5 provides the security you require.

Simply right click the shared folder, select properties, and click the security tab.

If you cannot see the security tab, from my computer, choose tools, and from the drop down menu choose folder options. Choose the view tab and scroll to the bottom of the advanced settings. Untick the option 'Enable simple file sharing (Recommended)'. Although windows wont prompt you, you will need to restart the kernel (your computer) in order for this change to take effect.

From the security tab within the folder properties, you can manage access to the folder. It is recommended that you start by deleting the 'Everyone' object and Choose 'add' to add a user.

I hope this helps. If I can help further, please post back.