reboot and playing dead?

bonestonne

ok, so i've got this somewhat old Pentium 4 computer, not all that much in the way of anything in terms of specs, 1.4GHz, 256MB RD-RAM...just that i guess. it seems that more and more recently the computers been crashing, rebooting, and then right after the HP logo screen its been telling me theres no OS...normally if i wait a few minutes or hours, it'll work again, or if i simply unplug the HDD it'll work, but its worrying me. i have no DDR ram, therefore my K7S5A Pro doesn't work right now, so i can't even replace the system. its in a case i bought, and i don't want to just set it aside right now, but what am i to do?

is there anyone who can do one of several things:

1) find permanent solution

2) offer some DDR RAM [184pin, 2.5v] at a low cost or just a small amount to get by

3) give me my sanity back, as its been coming and going lately.

i only have two working systems at the moment, this one, my linux box, [1.1Ghz celeron, 256MB SD-RAM] and my workstation, which is upstairs, runs windows 2000 [1152MB SD-RAM with only 640MB fully recognized].

i need a new faster computer as my needs are starting to move away from low CPU speed to something that can take a real beating. i have an Athlon XP 2200+, K7S5A Pro motherboard that i want to test, as it would replace the P4 system, but i have no ram for it, and the SD RAM slots are doing nothing for me, and i need a better system. buying a new one is no option, so any help would be very much apreciated.

i fear its the hard drive, as a few months ago it got caught in a drive cage, and the filmstrip that gives the motor power was ripped out, and the slot it goes into was at a 90 degree angle. not off, but close. i was afraid i would loose the drive, and i guess its happening now. i need to put the majority of my money into a new hard drive, but RAM, i can't afford to get new, so maybe someone can help.

any kind of answer will help.

The symptoms you describe are indicative of a hard drive which is failing. As for DDR ram, I'm sure you can get a used stick for cheap by going to a small computer store where you live.

The symptoms you describe are indicative of a hard drive which is failing. As for DDR ram, I'm sure you can get a used stick for cheap by going to a small computer store where you live.

Note that he said RD-RAM - that's RAMBUS, and not cheap at all. Not to mention that with the symptoms he's describing, he could probably get a new motherboard, processor, and same amount of RAM for the cost of a decent RIMM upgrade :).

no, if this system is tanking, i'll be upgrading to a system with DDR.

i've looked into RD RAM in the past looking to get more for this system, and have not had any luck whatsoever finding it for a decent price.

i have no computers that have SATA, and no new processors....i guess this should be moved to the hardware section now...

if i save up every penny possible, could someone propose a build that i can use? i'm aiming at new everything, but budgeted. RAM, CPU, HDD are my main concerns. i have a 420W PSU, i can buy adapters for a SATA drive, as i'm not going after a new PSU right now, and thats about it, i can use everything else. i just need a mobo [LGA775 preferred] a decent CPU [no celeron, dual core is better, but not required] and i guess no less than 80gigs, i can always use my external for more.

Note that he said RD-RAM - that's RAMBUS, and not cheap at all. Not to mention that with the symptoms he's describing, he could probably get a new motherboard, processor, and same amount of RAM for the cost of a decent RIMM upgrade :).

Yea, I was going on about his quote "2) offer some DDR RAM [184pin, 2.5v] at a low cost or just a small amount to get by".

no, if this system is tanking, i'll be upgrading to a system with DDR.

i've looked into RD RAM in the past looking to get more for this system, and have not had any luck whatsoever finding it for a decent price.

i have no computers that have SATA, and no new processors....i guess this should be moved to the hardware section now...

if i save up every penny possible, could someone propose a build that i can use? i'm aiming at new everything, but budgeted. RAM, CPU, HDD are my main concerns. i have a 420W PSU, i can buy adapters for a SATA drive, as i'm not going after a new PSU right now, and thats about it, i can use everything else. i just need a mobo [LGA775 preferred] a decent CPU [no celeron, dual core is better, but not required] and i guess no less than 80gigs, i can always use my external for more.

Depends what you want to do with your system? What OS do you want to run? What software? What kind of usage? Then we can help you choose hardware.

my plans are dual booting windows XP and Ubuntu SE [modded 6.10]

i would like to have AGP, or at least onboard graphics, as i'm not in a position to buy a new graphics card to go with the system.

it will be hauled back and forth used for audio recording, mixing, editing and DJ work. sound will be either onboard or through a Soundblaster Live...

i was looking on newegg earlier, found a pentium D that was around 2.9Ghz dual core with 2x 2mb L2 cache, something i'll need, an AsRock mobo with AGP, and 1gb DDR2 ram, and a 120GB SATA1 HDD. total comes out to be about 250 now, which will take the summer to get together. by then hopefully there will be a price drop so i can get a C2D..but i'm not too into which CPU i get, i just need a large L2 cache, and a quick FSB, fastest isnt necessary.

programs i use are photoshop 7, although i've been trying to find a barebone CS2 for cheap, Audition, which is my main recording program, i don't game much at all, so nothing too extravagant.

in linux, the only program that comes close to needing power would be be audacity...i don't plan on using any 3d effects until i figure them out completely...i have beryl installed on my linux box, it could be the fact that its onboard video, nothing happens when i trigger it. meh.

the L2 cache is whats important for me.

it was on my mind, however the problem is that i'm so sick of having used/old parts, i want a new thing. and something that i can use later for another build later.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819116254 - CPU - $99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...82E16813131032R - mobo - $53

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820231054 - RAM - $60

thats the build that i can see as feasable...by tomorrow i should have around $150 for it, however if i do buy it, it will be all at once. also, does anyone think that a different CPU would be better? also, i'll need a PCI-E x16 graphics card to run it, i don't have any here...what would you say would work well? i need it to be cheap, and a lack of gamin means that performance just needs to be enough to run basic apps.

it will completely replace the P4 system. i found the problem, however its one that can continue to occur in the future. all i'm doing now is ripping/preparing CDs for school, and its a very important job right now. if there will be an intel price drop, this system could get cheaper too, so i'll likely wait a little, but running this perticular system for much longer wont help me. i'll probable get some el cheapo case for it, and give it to my sister.

if theres a part of the system that i could probably get better, do say...this is a self bought thing, i'm not relying on my parents for this, i know they wont spring. i have 3 computers, and they seem to think that my 1.1ghz celeron with 256mb of RAM is all i need.

i saw that one, and i was thinking about it, but wasn't too confident right away with it, but i'm not shooting for performance...that can wait.

i might jump on the board and CPU right away though, before that board goes out of stock...i'll have to talk to my mom about it soon. i have about $120, which will get me the board, and maybe the RAM too, the CPU will drop in price so i could get it with the gfx card if i can...we'll see next week, but thanks all...i'll let you know when i get into the build.