Windows XP FAQ

Zxian

This topic will be updated with more information as time goes on. It will contain information about common issues related to XP.

Dude, Where's my RAM?

We are often asked why Windows Vista / Windows Server 2003 / Windows XP etc. only sees a portion of the installed memory. It is pretty common for a machine with 4GB of RAM to actually show between 3.1 and 3.6GB of RAM installed, although this number may actually be less depending on hardware.

-Full article

svchost.exe uses 100% of CPU and almost 100 MB of RAM!!!

If you're getting severe slowdowns by a svchost.exe that eventually goes away, but is just really annoying, don't worry - it's probably not a virus! It could be caused by Microsoft Update checking updates for programs that use the Windows Installer. Check the KB article for a download link to a possible fix.

-MS KB916089.

If you have any suggestions of commonly addressed issues, please reply to this thread.

• 7 months later...

• 6 months later...

lol had to add...

Q. Computer Running Slow?

A. Start > Run > msconfig > Startup = Disable All

Start > Run > msconfig > Services = Hide All Microsoft Services then Disable All

Restart

:-D everyone should know that but for the few that dont i though i would throw that out there.

lol had to add...

Start > Run > msconfig > Services = Hide All Microsoft Services then Disable All

Restart

:-D everyone should know that but for the few that dont i though i would throw that out there.

Way to break VMware networking, disabling tons of apps from running (any SQL server of any kind, Apache, most FTP servers, RAID software, etc), most defragmenters, most AVs/firewalls, licensing for various apps, most systray mixers, and a whole lot more things.

NOT good advice at all! Most services that can be disabled by most users, are Windows' own (that you did hide) -- n00bs can look at Black Viper's guide.

msconfig sucked even on windows 95... If you want an app for startup stuff, look at autoruns (it's top notch, like most sysinternals apps)

Besides, the vast majority of problems about PCs being slow these days are spyware/virus related (so many IE users out there and people that don't patch anything)

lol had to add...

Restart

Way to break VMware networking, disabling tons of apps from running (any SQL server of any kind, Apache, most FTP servers, RAID software, etc), most defragmenters, most AVs/firewalls, licensing for various apps, most systray mixers, and a whole lot more things.

NOT good advice at all! Most services that can be disabled by most users, are Windows' own (that you did hide) -- n00bs can look at Black Viper's guide.

msconfig sucked even on windows 95... If you want an app for startup stuff, look at autoruns (it's top notch, like most sysinternals apps)

Besides, the vast majority of problems about PCs being slow these days are spyware/virus related (so many IE users out there and people that don't patch anything)

Or to access services that run at startup you could press the Windows key on your keyboard and R to bring up the cmd box then type services.msc this will give you a comprehensive list of every service/process that is running/run on your system at startup etc etc hope this helps folks!

Stoner81