usb flash drive unrecognized

Kiki Burgh

hi! i don't know if anybody has encountered this problem (or even if this HFSLIP's concern to begin with) but i couldn't seem to install my usb flash drive (i didn't have this issue in my earlier builds) ... it always failed ... even tried using my burned iso as the source with the same result ... even manually tried to direct it to the the system32 dir --- same result ... right-clicking the .infs too to install still failed ... what i did as a workaround was use the free SP2 disk that MS sent to make it work ... as such i might have lost all those HFs that i already slipstreamed :(

I think XP has a wonderful special feature that if you have mapped drives where the letters start just one letter higher than your internal hd/cd drives, USB sticks don't work. I found that by mapping to an alternate letter, things work normal. This issues does not happen with 2k.

hey tommyp & tomalak ... nice to hear from you guys again ... this problem didn't present itself before since i've started using hfslip ... twas only now that i experienced this ... i reckon there might be HFs that update something in usbstor file (& other related usb binaries) that leads to this concern ... thanks!

EDIT: btw, i will be closely observing the cmd run and see from which HF the usb updates are coming from ... i recall seeing this but can't exactly remember which HF ;)

Edited by Kiki Burgh

hi TC! i think this is it! :) i often see these files extracted from the runs ... i guess i don't need this for my desktop ... i'll take this is required for my portable ... i'll see if i wouldn't encounter the prob anymore when i take this out ... strange though this wasn't the case before ... didn't have to re-apply SP2 in all my previous builds ...

Edited by Kiki Burgh

You shouldn't have this nasty side effect on your desktop PC. But the only way to verify if it's that is by removing it.

I've had it in the HF folder for some time now and haven't experienced your problem yet. Some of the test PCs have a built-in card reader and all's fine.

hi tc! observed the cmd run and these were the HFs which have usb binaries: 887173, 890927, 892050, 899271, 905816 & the one you posted: 918005 ... would the last 1 take precedence over the rest? going back to the basics - HFSLIP slipstreams only the latest ver of binaries right? i.e., HF1 had file ver002 while HF2 has file ver001, file ver001 of HF2 would not overwrite file ver002 of HF1, correct? thanks! ;)

kiki - Only the latest time stamped binaries will remain just as you say. However, the registry portion of the all of the hotfixes will occur. The hotfix INF files are parsed in the same order as the hotfix KB-number.

KB892050-v3 is replaced by KB918005-v4 so you can remove the former.

If that doesn't help, also remove KB899271-v4 and KB905816. When installed normally, these updates run an extra command post-installation; it seems unimportant to me but you never know.