How Does One Clean Up The Start Menu?

Is there any way to clean up the start menu via scripts or any other method so that things are not just tossed all around? :)

Like creating a CD\DVD folder, then moving any and all app's that may fit that grouping to that folder.

Same thing with a Graphic's folder, but maybe break that up into smaller subfolders Pixil, Vector, 3D...

Any ways hopefully what I discribe is easy enough to follow...heh now making it happen maybe a different story. :rolleyes:

I do it like this, from the CMDLINES.TXT section:

RMDIR "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu" /S /Q
RMDIR "%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu" /S /Q
XCOPY ".\PROFILES\AUSER\*.*" "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\" /E /C /Y /Q /H
XCOPY ".\PROFILES\DUSER\*.*" "%USERPROFILE%\" /E /C /Y /Q /H

In $OEM$\PROFILES\AUSER and \DUSER I have all shortcuts (preconfigured), and more, to add to these profiles. Alternativly, you could create an inf file to create them.

Heh that kicks a$$, many thanks. :)

I checked out your current build of your XP CD creation scripts...much nicer and more complete. Well keep adding more polish and features to it, because it sure helps open the eyes of some of us.....hehe okay namely me. :rolleyes:

*Update*

Okay taking this one step further :D

Could one do the same thing in the "Programs Files" folder with the actual app's...and if so what and how bad could issues come of this...if at all? I mean could a simple run of Norton WinDoctor fix the any linkage issues or hopefully some thing that can be done from the scripts & a simple exe....hehe or am I getting to out of hand. :D

You can do it with programs that do not need an install, like many tools, Winamp, and a few others. Most programs, however, require the full installation.

I've never used WinDoctor, but it does not sound like something I should need on a fresh installation ...

Keep quiet about the script: I think you are the only one using it... I just added a list of hotfixes that work, and where to put them, on the page linked above.