Aero isn't activating with my new 8800GTS

MarkJohnson

I've had Vista for a few weeks now and decided to get a DX10 compatible card and see how the Aero interface works. I installed my Video card (Leadtek Win Fast PX8800 GTS TDH 320MB). Then I installed the latest nVidia drivers from nVidia's web site and still no Aero? I didn't notice DX10 installing and ran windows update and still no Aero.

Can someone help me get Aero up and running plz.

-=Mark=-

PS.. I bought Wndows MCE 2005 with Vista Home Premium Upgrade DVD.

Edited by MarkJohnson

My old card was an Radeon X1900XTX 512mb.

I got impatient and reinstalled windows. I figured it was some conflict between the xp that was installed for a month and loaded with all kinds of software and Vista.

This time though, I chose to do the complete install or whatever they called it. It saved XP into a .old folder and installed only Vista which was nice. Had no Aero interface, but had 14 updates to install, one of which was drivers for my 8800GTS. Unfortunately for me, Vista wouldn't let me in my computer after updates were installed. I had it do an auto-registration and it said my key was in use. now I have to wait until tomorrow and spend the day on the phone with MS to fix this mess.

sure is horrible being treated like a criminal when you buy their software. you'd think they'd have a better activation system in place by now. before it was smart enough to know it was being reinstalled on the same computer. I sure hope I don't have to go through this every time I have to reinstall windows. This could be a big PIA! Especially when I average 2-3 reinstalls of windows a year. sometimes more depending on the upgrades I install.

/rant

thanks for the advice everyone, I'll try the properties thing and do the re-evaluate hardware tomorrow if Aero doesn't show up. hopefully it won't ask me to register it again :wacko:

ps... I forgot to add that it had an evaluation mode with "Reduced Functionality." when I clicked on it all I got was a browser to surf the internet. oh yeah, and of course an option to buy a new key. I wonder how many people will end up paying for Vista twice or more.

Edited by MarkJohnson

That old card could definitely handle Vistas Aero, no doubt. Ive got an X1600 and im running it right now. However, you mentioned something about running an evaluation version of windows with "reduced functionality". That sounds like the problem to me.

ok, I have Vista registered again. I updated my score. I was given an option that it detected new software and to rerun the score. My video was rated at 1 before the score, now it's at 5.9. My processor is rated at 5.7 and everything else is rated at 5.9. Aero still doesn't show up.

Any more ideas on getting Aero up and running?

-=Mark=-

ps... Are there any DX10 titles available yet? or even some sample demos? I can't seem to find 1 single program out there for DX10 yet.

there are some DX10 samples out there to try, do some google searchs on them, most games are not DX10 certified yet Company on Heroes is suppose to have a DX10 patch soon, but not sure when, many other games will follow suite but that may not be for awhile. the Nivdia Drivers for your Card might be beta, check nividia's webpage for the latest drivers there is also a section about installation on vista and DX10 that might be able to help you troubleshoot your issue

@ MarkJohnson

I installed Vista Ultimate today on a system with a 8800GTX graphics card, downloaded the 32-bit drivers for the card from the nvidia website.

Aero wasn't still showing up until I did the re-evaluate thing in properties and after that Aero was working perfect.

I did this on several systems the past weeks and everytime it worked fine, so I don't know why it doesn't work for you.

So I know it has to work this way.

But maybe you got it working in the meantime.

Greetz, DJPro :sneaky:

Unfortunately Aero still isn't coming up. I re-evaluated 3 times now and trying different things. but no luck yet. and I do have the latest drivers from nVidia.

Also, I downloaded the cascade demo and it looks awesome! I can't wait for some DX10 games to be released.

-=Mark=-

ps. I just noticed my defragmenter has been awefully quite for the last 15-20 minutes. Hope everything is ok.

while searching for more aero help, I ran across a program called Vista Manager that turns on the Aero interface and you guessed it, it still didn't come up? Is it possible it didn't get installed? Is there a way to manually install it from the DVD? Does Vista Home Premium Upgrade have it included? I know Home Premium is suppose to have it and assumed the upgrade has it also.