houston, we have a problem!

johndoe74

his tommy and tomcat. regarding that problem i mentioned here, it still persists and I haven't been unable to make it go away if IE7 is slipstreamed. granted I do have a ton of hotfixes in there but still, i put IE7 in the mix and the error keeps popping up. IE7 won't install if i put it in SVCPACK (i guess that's got to do with activation bulls***) but if i take that same IE7 setup (made by hfslip) that was supposed to be installed at T13 (SVCPACK) and put it in HFGUIRUNONCE, it gets installed just fine and the mmc error is nowhere to be found. could you guys maybe try and figure out what gives ?

Edited by johndoe74

I see several problems with your log.

1) You are including IE7 hotfixes that are unverified

2) You are simultaneously including a previously-made silent IE7 installer in HFGUIRUNONCE which may be broken

3) HFCABS contains DX9 files that are not supported and don't apply to the OS in your SOURCE folder

4) LegitCheckControl.cab needs to be named LegitCheckControl.cab

Do the following:

1) Remove all files from HFCABS, HFSVCPACK and HFGUIRUNONCE

2) Include only these files in HF:

IE7-KB928090-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe

IE7-KB929969-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe

IE7-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe

WindowsXP-KB928255-x86-ENU.exe

3) Add IE7SLIPSTREAM=1 into HFTOOLS\HFANSWER.INI

4) Run HFSLIP again

You said you tried the three methods HFSLIP supports regarding IE7, but you haven't explained which method you actually want to use.

Please include HFANSWER.INI next time too.

dang i thought i removed all the incriminating evidence, messed up leaving legitcheck behind didn't I :lol:

so could you help me out with which DX9 files should and shouldn't be in hfcabs ? i added the stuff from the april 2007 release as well

anyways, about that thing in hfguirunonce, i saw that when i was uploading the .log file and removed it right then. i'd already added IE7SLIPSTREAM=1 to hfanswer. i'll get back to you once i do it again your way, i mean exactly your way :D

thanks amigo

Edited by johndoe74

If you go to my XPSP2 hotfix list and put a mark in the checkbox for "Extra DirectX 9.0c gaming binaries from DirectX 9.0c April '07 Redist (48.8MB)", you'll see which cab files are supported in the section "List of files that go in the HFCABS folder".

the description on your page shows *XACT*x86.cab and *xinput*x86.cab files are supported but your list doesn't include those files. how come ? should i keep them ? remove them ? why ?

Edited by johndoe74

Sorry. I forgot that the list doesn't show all files supported by HFSLIP :)

Apart from the x64 files, you need to remove these:

Apr2006_MDX1_x86.cab

Apr2006_MDX1_x86_Archive.cab

dxdllreg_x86.cab

dxupdate.cab

Remote Desktop Connection Web Connection (msrdp.cab) is not supported.

in the woids of the inimitable bugs bunny, it woiked man! :thumbup

i don't exactly know what exactly it was but after i tried with only those hotfixes you suggested i was still getting that issue, but i went with your suggestion about hfanswer and replaced mine with a stock one. now in that one of those things that sticks out is that i had selected cats to be deleted whereas in the new one they're not. you think that could have been the cause ? well, anyways, i'm trying to screw it up again - deliberately this time - just to see what gives :whistle:

wish me luck. and thanks a ton for your help. :thumbup

Edited by johndoe74

If you don't have the necessary files in the FIX folder then I can imagine this happening. HFSLIP only asks you if you want to delete CAT files if it detects those files in the FIX folder, but if you "force" HFSLIP to delete CAT files via HFANSWER.INI this check doesn't happen.

no no i meant to ask i had deliberately set for those cats to be deleted (i did have the required files in the fix folder but it saves time doesn't it ?). could they have been the cause of the error i was getting ? i.e., the ie7 screwup ?