5-in one gone none-in-one

Idontwantspam

So I have a Dell laptop with a built in (as in in the side next to the usb ports) 5-in-1 media card reader, for SD cards and the like.

For the first time since I got it in december, I decided to try and stick in my SD card. Nothing happened. I tried again. It was in the right direction, it was snug and all that. I don't have any other media types to try, sorry. Here's the info:

--Computer--

Intel Core Duo :)

1gb RAM

CD/DVD reader/writer

Built in wireless

4 usb ports

15.4 inch widescreen LCD and a VGA port on back with nothing connected :(

Windows XP Media Center 2005 SP2

All windows updates, etc. applied

A non-functional 5-in-1 media reader :(

--The memory cards--

Three:

512 mb Lexar SD cards

One:

128 mb Lexar SD card

--What the Device manager says--

post-128497-1175995507_thumb.png

So here's what I expect is the deal: there's no driver for SD cards, or else not for this brand of SD card. Does anyone have any other ideas? I guess I'll go looking on the Lexar website for drivers, but in the mean time, anyone have an idea what's going on?

Thanks in advance!

AFAIK you don't need any drivers for mass storage devices, so your card *should* be there. Have you got anything stored on it?

Yes. I do. But I can remove the things by just using the standard USB transfer if necessary. I don't need any drivers at all for the computer to recognize the card reader? That surprises me. Remember, this is built in, not USB. Thanks. PS: I forgot to say, this is a Dell Inspiron 6400/E1505 laptop.

the first time i cracked open my computer was when i found out my front USB ports didn't work on my old HP 7915. turns out the cable for that USB port wasn't even seated properly on the motherboard, instead of being in contact with all pins, one pin was holding up the bunch...therefore no data could transfer whatsoever.

you may want to look into that because when a computer is made, its sometimes done sloppily and as fast as possible, which is why so many parts have such a short lifespan. this computer i'm using now isn't even 4 years old, the hard drive crapped out [100GB WD] and now the RAM and original Mobo are gone...for several reasons, poor living quarters, lack of user service, and design...if a company had the same desires that many DIY'ers have, computers would be much more quality oriented...its all about cheap quick and useable...

moral of the rant, check your inards before anything else.

Well, I'm not sure I'm comfortable with opening up the computer... fact is, I have very little hardware experience, :blushing: though I am planning on learning more about hardware when I get a chance. Also, I think that would void the warranty and the EULA in some way... I seem to recall something about not screwing with the computer components, you have to take it to an authorized fixer-upper. It's a laptop, so it's a bit harder to just open up. Don't know if I could even get to that part. :blink: But thanks anyway for the suggestion, maybe someday I'll have the guts to do this myself.