Weird "missing" File Issues W/ Vpc

I'm not sure if this is a problem with Virtual PC or not, but my installs have suddenly started screwing up. The same files come up as missing.

On example is AIM. I get an error during install that it couldn't find the file. I go check the file location and instead of AIM_install.exe being there, I have a file that is 0kb and named $$$TEMP$$$.~~~. This happens to a couple of others as well.

At first I thought it was a bad DVD burn so I reburned....no help. I even copied the file itself from the DVD to my desktop and initiated and install....works fine. So it's got to be an issue during the file copy stage. Any ideas? I don't want to install it on my PC and have a hosed to have to deal with.

Somebody PLEASE help me with this!!! I've done everything I can think of to fix it. I burned to a DVD+R (instead of DVD+RW...thinking it was a bad disk,) I've reconfigured my system to put my DVD drive on the secondary IDE controller (since VPC says it's preferable,) the only other change I can think of is the addition of a default user, copying my favorites down, and copying all my personal documents into the "My Documents" folder.

It's weird too....some of the applications copy over fine while several others don't...and it's always the same ones that don't.

ANY ideas are appreciated.

Well, I gave it another shot and seem to have elimintated the problem....but I don't like the solution.

Basically I had to delete the "My Documents" folder I copied over. It now copies all the app install files just fine.

Any idea why this would be an issue? Is there a limit to the # of files or file size that can be copied over during the txt portion of the install?

Hey there Geckotek.. Sorry I ain't been on line for a couple of days or you would have had a reply to this one sooner....

You can check out my previous posts on this topic here VPC + Missing or Corrupt Files

I too make Bootable DVD's for Unattended Install, and had exactly the problem you describe... After wasting about a WEEK of my life trying to work out WTF was going on, I have, with the help of a couple of posts from others, deduced that...

Virtual PC has a limitation on the size of disks it can mount !

It doesn't matter if you create and ISO on your HD and capture that ISO, OR

if you go the whole hog and burn it to a DVD+R /DVD+RW and 'Capture the Drive' in VPC.. IF your disk OR image is larger than approx 2GB, it will have file errors on it according to VPC.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE DISK !

If you actually use this disk in a real computer, all will be fine and all files will be copied and readable, it's ONLY VPC that has this error !

I am guessing the file limit is about 2Gb as my first disk was 4.5Gb and it failed the way yours did with $TEMP$ files all over the place... I assumed that VPC was suffering from a 4Gb file limitation as some apps do, so I reduced the disk size to around 3GB, but this too failed...

Eventually it was taking so long to build the image time after time only for it to fail, that I decided to remove all the extras I put on the DVD and concentrate ONLY on the unattended install with hotfixes + MS Office XP, this brought the disk size down to 1.5Gb and wouldn't you know it, the **** thing worked perfectly. I didn't try pushing it back up to 1.9Gb just to test it, so the 2Gb figure is an appoximation, but I figure it's that or there abouts !

I did ask AaronXP in my own thread, if he would put a note on his Unattended Guide website warning people of this limitation, but I don't know if he's done it or not. I wasted a week trying to get to the bottom of this and I would hate to think of others going through the same process.. I only got the idea of using a DVD after I read it on his site, in which he recommends testing with VPC, but I dont think hes actually done it him self or he would be more than aware of this VPC BUG !

If you read this AaronXP, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE put a warning on your site about the VPC file size limitation if creating DVD's and save others the late nights I like I had..

Hope that helps Geckotek, good luck with the DVD... if I can help in any other way on this matter, PM me..

Cheers

Geckotek, what Oh kAy is saying is absolutely right, this is not an error in your dvds, but with virtual pc, i think that this can be resolved by increasing the amount of harddrive space allocated to VPC.

For your info.. I have been unable to find a work around for this VPC 'bug' and I did spend quite some time trying...

With 200Gb of storage at my disposal I already run with a 16Gb VPC HD (which is fairly big, & it works fine), but I don't think this has any bearing on the size of CD/DVD images VPC can read.. (in other words it didn't work for me) If anyone here can CONFIRM to the contrary, please let me know, I'd love to crack this one... it's bin a REAL pain..

Best keep it under 2Gb during VPC testing and add your extras before the final burn.

Thank you so much for your response (yes, I do get e-mailed updates as well.) I wish I had it earlier (saved a headach and VERY long night,) but having it now really helps. I now know I can backup my documents and e-mail files to my install DVD when I burn and have them sitting there ready when I complete the install.

BTW, don't know about the rest of you, but I'm gonna end up w/ 2 versions. One for me and a generic one for other systems; like my Dad whose HD just crashed and he lives in Albuquerque....I live in Dallas. And YES, he has his own licensed copies of the same software...I built his original system. It'll be nice to send him a DVD, give him basic instructions to install a DVD-Rom drive and his new HD, pop in the disk and an hour later...VOILA!