Installing Wireless Access Point

Asp

I'm a newbie at networking, but have a have 4 port router and ADSL modem with dynamic IP working. Now I need to add a Wireless Access Point for my wife's laptop.

The laptop is working fine, it's already leeching off some neighbour's open link. But I'd like to have my own setup.

I bought an oldish Wireless Access Point.

The manual, and all the setup files as on the CDR, can be found: AP111B manual (the original manufacturer's site is long gone).

I'm having trouble with the terminology. TFA says(page 23):

Step 1. Connect an Ethernet station and the Access Point on the same subnet. The

simplest way to accomplish this is to connect the Access Point and the

Ethernet station to the same hub. You need to check if the station IP

address and the Sub-net mask are configured properly. Also the new IP

address for the Access Point must correspond to the Subnet mask.

Step 2. Locate and run the “IPConfig” utility in the Start menu.

What is an "ethernet station"? The PC or the router?

The "hub" I assume is the router.

Anyway: I have a PC, a 4-port router, the WAP, an ADSL modem. What do I plug in where at this point?

The final arrangement is obvious enough, plugging the WAP to one of the LAN ports of the router, but in this configuration step it seems to be saying to do something else to set its initial IP.

The router gateway is at 192.168.1.1; the PC is assigned 192.168.1.21, netmask 255.255.255.1

Default WAP IP is 192.168.0.1, which looks like it needs to be changed (to what, exactly?) to be compatible.

Also, I'm having trouble installing the "SNMP manager" software. Is this generic, or manufacturer specific? If generic, what alternatives are there?

Thanks greatly for any hints...

An Ethernet station refers to a PC wired to the Router.

Your subnet mask cannot be 255.255.255.1, that is not a valid subnet mask, I assume you mean 255.255.255.0

The third digit of 192.168.X.Y, in this case X, must be the same. All the Ys must be different (any number from 1 to 254).

Yes, it was 255.255.255.0.

I tried connecting the PC directly to the WAP, but Windows just said the cable was disconnected. Possibly I needed a crossover cable.

Anyway, I connected the PC and WAP up to the router, changed the router's subnet mask to 255.255.0.0; so then I could access the WAP\s default IP through the router and use the config utility to set it to DHCP; and then reset the router's netmask, rebooted everything and now it's working with the WAP on 192.168.1.22.

Now I'm messing around with the security settings. Is there a way to check the WEP password -- I found several WEP password crackers, buit most worked on Linux; I just want to test a small number of passwords against my WAP to be sure they've stuck, not throw millions of attacks. It seems that when I change the WEP password, existing sessions just continue without interruption or needing a new password; is that standard behaviour? Seems a little promiscuous.

Doesn't have WPA.

The AP is vintage 2002. Slow, but still much faster than my Internet service.

Anyway, last night I changed the WEP from 64 to 128 bit encryption and put in new codes. But the laptop could still login using the old codes.

Is this a consequence of the "lease"?

I'm not terribly concerned about being attacked, it's a home network and I can access two neighbours' APs at this moment with no encryption at all.

Is this a consequence of the "lease"?
No, they aren't related like that. Make sure the settings are saved and reboot both the device and the computer. If you can still reach the internet then something is wrong with your security.

• 3 weeks later...

If you did save your settings, it's possible you are connecting to your neighbors.

Check to make sure you are connecting to yours by checking the SSID. Sometimes, people don't change their SSID and keep the default because they don't understand security.

I changed my SSID so I can identify that I'm connected to mine.

I also don't broadcast mine so others can't see it (unless they have hacking tools).

You may not be concerned about security right now, but when others use your bandwidth, you might be concerned. Then if you start sharing your files, then you might be concerned about security. Just something to think about for future.