vista unattended

hey guys

im looking for info on vista unateended and since i know this was the place to check on special tweaks in xp i am checking this topic every once and awhile.i know alot has changed and have been in depth with this thing for the last 8 monhts(long before release)

but to tell you the truth im thinking this:

since vista ent,ultimate and buisness are the ones that are hardware independed.

and most of us use those versions.

do we really need an unattended install with this?

in 99% of all pc hardware today we can just sysprep an already installed image capture it using 2 ways:

1.ghost image(for those hardwares that work,most of them will since vista is loaded with drivers and is hardware independed).

2.ximage to take an wim file(so we can inject drivers if needed)

and i think we are covered:)

we have all software installed

all hotfixes(can add them to the wim file if needed)

and all drivers almost(we can add more to the wim file,for example i added all intel inf files)

let me know what you think guys

thanks

Its fact you can Acronis or ghost your drive and be restored in a matter of minutes with all the Tweaks and applications running. XP with a blank drive for my Vista install takes all of 2-3 minutes. Could do that way before Vista.

Unattending is the challenge of creating and learning something instead of taking the default install. One day we may not have that option. Hundreds of coasters later till I started using RW I still don't have the perfect DVD because I decide I want another application and maybe don't want something else or discover something else someone posted and its off to try it out. Help advance the knowledge and power.

Yes more and more want the easy way and they'll grow more stupid each day if they aren't learning something. Anything, and it don't have to be this if its not your cup of tea.

The sun will shine on anyone that will get out in it.

Its fact you can Acronis or ghost your drive and be restored in a matter of minutes with all the Tweaks and applications running. XP with a blank drive for my Vista install takes all of 2-3 minutes. Could do that way before Vista.

Unattending is the challenge of creating and learning something instead of taking the default install. One day we may not have that option. Hundreds of coasters later till I started using RW I still don't have the perfect DVD because I decide I want another application and maybe don't want something else or discover something else someone posted and its off to try it out. Help advance the knowledge and power.

Yes more and more want the easy way and they'll grow more stupid each day if they aren't learning something. Anything, and it don't have to be this if its not your cup of tea.

The sun will shine on anyone that will get out in it.

you are 100% right

i like the challenge too:)

i am done with xp dvd its working fine and i stopped updating it

one thing to note is acronis or ghost willnot let you deploy an image to a diffrent hardware(youll get blue screen in xp)

but today when everything is virtual

acronis has an addone that will let you restore to diffrent hardware(not even sure in most cases u even need that in vista,since it knows its stuff almost in any situation)

but again for the challenge im starting new dvd with vista:)

will keep updating

great forum

Another factor which people seem to forget is installing/updating/changing/REMOVING applications from images.

With an image you usually start accumulating a fair amount of cruft (and in an enterprise that can be real problem). Having an unattended install routine (if done correctly) means that software can be removed/changed easily *from the install* and then an image can be recaptured for deployment.

Just my 2p worth.

Cheers,

Mike