Delete Vista folders from D:\

mehargags

hi to all,

I checked whole lot of google but din't find a solution. I installed Vista on my D:, then since its trial was over I removed Vista using the command

<Vista DVD>\boot\bootsect.exe /nt52 ALL /force

then Removed two files Boot.BAK & Bootsect.BAK from C:\

Problem now is i can't delete the installation folders D:\program files, D:\windows from within my XP installation. it says Access Denied.

Funny thing is, i booted to a winPE cd & tried deleting still it says Access Denied. I'm yet to try it using a linux bootable but i can't understand why the hell it is so diff. to delete those folders. What the hell of permissions is blocking me.

Can the seniors suggest some way out. I can't let 6gb choked on my D:......

thx

Hello,

If you don't need any other files / folders on D: drive you can delete the partition from Disk management under Computer management and then recreate it.

If you need to keep the partition, however, and your xp is professional, not home, you can right click on the stubborn folders, goto properties, Security tab, add your user name and give yourself full control. Apply, click advanced, tick the "Replace permissions ..." option and click OK on every dialog until you are back in explorer.

If it refuses to add you, click advanced, Owner, change the ownership to yourself (or the administrators group to which I assume you belong), tick the "Replace owner on subcontainers..." and click OK again.

If your xp is Home edition, all the above must be done in Safe Mode because you cannot see the Security tab in normal mode.

Regards,

Yianni.

Boot from Vista DVD and Click on Repair Option.

after the scanning pocess select Command Prompt

Now U have two option

1) Go to Vista Drive and use these commands

RD /s Program FIles

RD /s Documents and Settings

RD /s Windows

2) type regedit and open registry editor

now click on File menu and then click on Load or Export (any choice)

the open dialog box will be apeared go to the partition and select folder then press Shift+Delete