Services.msc

tal ormanda

Doing so can/will break a lot of features/functions in your computer, however. System defaults are the best.

This is true for some Services but not all. I'd never disable WMI or NLA but things like IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service, ClipBook, or RPC Locator, etc... can be disabled for most people.

Granted it really isn't much of a performance increase even if you disable 3/4 of the Services like the Extremists. I have 2/3s of mine Disabled and the other 1/3 Started or Manual. You can always check the Event Log to see if a particular Service is being called upon. I personally prefer no errors in my Event Log.

Anyway, there are countless recommendations and guides on practically every technical forum, so it's not necessary for people to continue to post "Mine are like this!" when you can just read existing threads and try for yourself.

I would leave the Services alone and focus on startup entries and having your HDD defragmented, as well as having enough RAM.

There are many things a person can do to improve system performance a little here and a little there till you finally have a system that runs pretty well.

I include the following quote, because it's very good advise.

focus on startup entries and having your HDD defragmented, as well as having enough RAM.

Again, I say, as a tech that works on hundreds of XP machines, "That's good advise".

But, if you can tweak the registry a little and get the Kernal up off the hard drive and loaded into RAM, performance takes a huge leap forward.

Probably the last thing I do when tuning up an XP PC, is shut down the totally redundant Services.

I found the info from Black Viper somewhat confusing, so I opted to take my lead from Gene Goldring instead.

Looks like his site has been updated since I first printed out his list of services.

Find that list here.

Gene Goldring

Making XP run decent is very DO'able. (I do it every day)

Good Luck and Happy Computing!

The OldGoat :blink: