Windows XP Home

Fozj

Helping a friend with HP Pavilion 533w computer. Problem is that when booting it gets to the Windows XP logo where the colored dots scroll and after that goes off, fans seem to sound as if they are in labor, (slow down) then it reboots, back to same spot and reboots again and again etc. It does the same going into safe mode and also with a XP boot disk.

Help wanted, Thanks Foz

Thanks jeremy, The memory was ok, I guess, I let memtest run 27 passes and no errors showed. I ran Maxtors Powerblast and hard drive had corrupt files. I did a clean install and computer seems ok now. It still sounds as if it is in labor when the operating systems starts to load and stays that way until just before it turns off. None of my computer do this, must be a HP thing? I guess it is ok, I downloaded 106 XP updates and a lot of other stuff and it didn't overheat.

Foz

If the HDD is making an "ticking" or "clicking" sounds then you may want to get the HDD replaced, seeing as how it already has bad sectors. If it is still under warranty then you should be able to get this done free of charge. If not, then the money for a new HDD is coming out of yours or a family member's pocket. Is it a desktop or laptop? Laptops are usually harder to work on than desktops because of the compact design, you have to go through layers of parts and screws for specific parts, which if mixed up can be hell.

It is not a noise, but sounds like the fans (power supply,processor, and cabinet fans) RPM slows quite a bit after the XP logo with the scrolling blue dots (blue dots for SP2) ( green dots for SP1)quit and goes to a black screen before the welcome screen. The computer must be ok or it would not have ran all day downloading all the Microsoft updates (106) after the clean install of XP.

Thanks , Foz