Multiple HALs on 1 ghost image

My team has been tasked to redo the several different ghost images we have to just one image. We have 5 different HALs that have to be included 3 different desktop HALs and 2 laptops. So far we have been successful with the 1 HAL for the base image. This will be a ghost image so we are using an .inf. Software will be packaged and installed after the base install depending on the computer.

Any guidance you gurus have would be greatly appreciated. My team (me and another guy) have limited experience in this although we have a couple of other guys in our group that have done extensive imaging before but won't help cause they are 'too busy'...great team spirit. Thanks in advanced.

Before make ghost image unpack all hall& kernel into system32 dir. before copy, rename standart (non-acpi) hall to

hallstd.

Edit boot.Ini

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXP
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXP="Microsoft Windows XP Professional RU" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXP="Standart PC" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /hal=halstd.dll /kernel=ntoskrnl.exe
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXP="ACPI PC" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /hal=halacpi.dll /kernel=ntoskrnl.exe
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXP="ACPI Uniprocessor PC" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /hal=halaacpi.dll /kernel=ntoskrnl.exe

In first boot select platform type.

This topic has come up many, many times. I'd do a search on it on the forum because it's already been covered completely.

Some useful info of what the above poster said... You add the text to the boot.ini NOT the sysprep.inf

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309283

http://www.altirigos.com/vbulletin/showthr...=953&page=3

Also, before you take the image you want to change the Computer type (in hardware manager) to "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC". Just update the driver and click on the appropriate one.

Edited by kickarse

Here is the list of our HALs we have. I have looked at UIU ...which looks wonderful but not cost effective for our company.

HP dx5150 halaacpi.dll Laptop

HP NX5000 halaacpi.dll Laptop

HP NX6110 halaacpi.dll Laptop

HP D530S halaacpi.dll Desktop

HP D51S halaacpi.dll Desktop

HP D5000 halaacpi.dll Desktop

HP D510 halaacpi.dll Desktop

Dell LT-D510 halaacpi.dll Laptop

IBM T42 halacpi.dll Laptop

HP NX9008 halacpi.dll Laptop

HP NX7000 halacpi.dll Laptop

Dell GX520 halmacpi.dll Desktop

IBM 8183 halmacpi.dll Desktop

Dell LT-D520 halmacpi.dll Desktop

HP DC7100 halmacpi.dll Desktop

IBM 8148 halmacpi.dll Desktop

Dell LT-D820 halmacpi.dll Laptop

Dell LT-D620 halmacpi.dll Laptop

Dell LT-D420 halmacpi.dll Laptop

Here is my attempt at this. http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=617727 Mysysprep seems like a great utility to me, but I want my image to update the hal regardless of what it is dropped onto. The limitations of my sysprepped image are that you must use windows pe to deploy otherwise the script won't run. Other than that I use my image on quite a few pcs with 3 different hals and have had good luck with it. Good luck to you and if you find a solution that works for you, post it.

OK here is our sysprep.inf

;SetupMgrTag

[unattended]

unattendedMode=Fullunattended

OemSkipEula=Yes

InstallFilesPath=C:\sysprep\i386

DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

OemPnPDriversPath=Drivers\Dell\GX520\controller;Drivers\Dell\GX520\Audio\SMAXWDM\

W2K_XP;Drivers\Dell\GX520\Network\winxp;Drivers\Dell\GX520\Video\3;Drivers\IBM\8183\

Audio\SMAXWDM\W2K_XP;Drivers\IBM\8183\Network\PRO100\WS03XP32;Drivers\IBM\8183\

Network\PRO1000\WS03XP32;Drivers\IBM\8183\Video\3;Drivers\HP\DX5150\Audio;

Drivers\HP\DX5150\Network;Drivers\HP\DX5150\Video

ConfirmHardware=No

OverwriteOemFilesOnupgrade=No

DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

updateInstalledDrivers=Yes

TargetPath=\WINDOWS

[GuiUnattended]

AdminPassword=password

EncryptedAdminPassword=No

OEMSkipRegional=1

OEMDuplicatorstring="Universal Image Testing V2.2"

TimeZone=20

OemSkipWelcome=1

[userData]

ProductKey=******-PP2YQ

FullName="Employee"

OrgName="*****, LLC"

ComputerName=

[RegionalSettings]

LanguageGroup=1

SystemLocale=00000409

UserLocale=00000409

InputLocale=0409:00000409

[Display]

BitsPerPel=32

Xresolution=1024

YResolution=768

[setupMgr]

DistFolder=C:\sysprep\i386

DistShare=windist

[GuiRunOnce]

[identification]

JoinDomain=******************.com

[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[sysprepcleanup]

[sysPrep]

BuildMassStorageSection=Yes

[sysprepMassStorage]

and here is our mysysprep.inf file

[Manufacturer]

;Dell Inc.=mfg.inf

[Model]

;Dell Inc. Optiplex GX520=model.inf

;Dell Inc. Optiplex GX520=mp.inf

;Dell Inc. Optiplex GX520=up.inf

HP dx5150 SFF(PZ585UA)=up.inf

Optiplex GX520=mp.inf

[serialNo]

;Serial No=serial.inf

We made the image on the Dell after changing the HAL to apci. and then sealed it up and it works on the DELL and IBM but not the HP

Edited by shuttrbug

OK. Here is a thought that I had.

1. I have found numerous places (and tested myself) how to manually change the HAL type in windows (replacing the hal.dll file).

2. I have seen scripts that detect the computer hardware (determining the required HAL type) and then will update the sysprep.inf file.

Would it be possible to build a script that would determine the hardware type and then change the HAL file automatically?

I am able to boot with the ACPI HAL, but would like to update it to MP_HAL, etc?

I have done some scripting and would be able to build the script to update the hal file, but am not sure how to read the hardware type. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

SUCCESS!

My company nixed spending money on UIU and Acronis. So my partner, being the super intelligent one, wrote a vbs script that will change the HAL type within a winpe boot. SO we boot to winpe (from a hidden partition on the HD even!), run the VBS script that automatically based on the machine, changes the boot.ini file and then reboot to load the image. Works perfectly on 5 different machines so far!

SUCCESS!

My company nixed spending money on UIU and Acronis. So my partner, being the super intelligent one, wrote a vbs script that will change the HAL type within a winpe boot. SO we boot to winpe (from a hidden partition on the HD even!), run the VBS script that automatically based on the machine, changes the boot.ini file and then reboot to load the image. Works perfectly on 5 different machines so far!

Care to share?

We've been doing a couple things here... I am using DriverPacks for LAN, MassStorage, CPU and Chipset. I use a driver scanner that adds them to the registry, which negates the need to add them to OemPnPDriversPath in the SYSPREP.inf.

I also add a couple other things under SysprepMassStorage

[Sysprep]
BuildMassStorage=Yes;--- Enables SysprepMassStorage

[SysprepMassStorage];--- This enables imaging on different hard IDE controllers
Primary_IDE_Channel = %windir%\inf\mshdc.inf
Secondary_IDE_Channel = %windir%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCMCIA\*PNP0600=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
*PNP0600=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCMCIA\KME-KXLC005-A99E=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCMCIA\_-NinjaATA--3768=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCMCIA\FUJITSU-IDE-PC_CARD-DDF2=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
*AZT0502=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCI\CC_0101=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCI\VEN_10B9&DEV_5215=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCI\VEN_10B9&DEV_5219=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCI\VEN_10B9&DEV_5229=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCI\VEN_1097&DEV_0038=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCI\VEN_1095&DEV_0640=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCI\VEN_1095&DEV_0646=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCI\VEN_0E11&DEV_AE33=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1222=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1230=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_7010=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_7111=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2411=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2421=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_7199=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCI\VEN_1042&DEV_1000=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCI\VEN_1039&DEV_0601=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCI\VEN_1039&DEV_5513=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCI\VEN_10AD&DEV_0001=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCI\VEN_10AD&DEV_0150=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_4D33=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_0571=%systemroot%\inf\mshdc.inf
;---- Latest Drivers for INTEL Chipsets
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24D0=C:\D\C\I\xp\ich5core.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24DC=C:\D\C\I\xp\ich5core.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24D3=C:\D\C\I\xp\ich5core.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2640=C:\D\C\I\xp\ich6core.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2641=C:\D\C\I\xp\ich6core.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2642=C:\D\C\I\xp\ich6core.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27B0=C:\D\C\I\xp\ich7core.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27B1=C:\D\C\I\xp\ich7core.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27B8=C:\D\C\I\xp\ich7core.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27B9=C:\D\C\I\xp\ich7core.inf

I also do this withing UnattendedGUI

;UpdateHAL=ACPIAPIC_MP,%WINDIR%\Inf\Hal.inf;--- ONLY Un-Comment the beginning if your making a uniprocessor image become a multiprocessor
;UpdateUPHAL=ACPIAPIC_UP,%WINDIR%\Inf\Hal.inf;--- ONLY Un-Comment the beginning if your making a multiprocessor image become uniprocessor
;ForceHALDetection=Yes; --- ONLY un-comment if you un-comment one of the two above

Another note is that you do not need to un-comment the UpdateHAL in the Sysprep.inf if you’re imaging, let's say, from a 1.2 GHz Celeron to a 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo. These are NOT multiprocessor but multi-core. A multiprocessor machine is TWO or more PHYSICAL chips. Most companies DO NOT have multiprocessor workstations. These are also either ACPI Uniprocessor PC or ACPI MultiProcessor PC, which should all work with Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC.

For some reason WLAN really slows down the sysprep component in min-setup, so I leave that out. I use the utility from the drivers section of this forum called Hardware 0.7.1 that is called to run on first login. This is setup to automatically install anything that didn't install during sysprep from the rest of the DriverPacks; sound, video and wlan.

Kickarse, what's this driver scanner you are talking about. ALso...whats the max characters allowed for a sysprep file? I think we have too many items in the drivers portion now and its causing and its causing an issue.

I just PM'd you. The guy who made the driver scanner was on this forum too...

Whats great about the driver scanner is that it adds it to the registry, almost like native windows inf's folder. Works really well.