Add/Remove doesent show updates

straytoasters

I am sure I missed this somewhere else in my few searches, so I apologize ahead of time.

Using XP Pro (pre) slipstreamed SP2, but the HFslip-ed updates don’t show up in add/remove control panel. Is this a side effect of the way HFslip works or am I doing something wrong? Nirsoft Windows Updates List does show the updates (with KB number) and going to Windows Update only prompts me for the updates I deliberately did not install. Suggestions?

Straytoasters

HFSLIP slipstreams most updates meaning the updated binaries are immediately available for use on your new CD (SOURCESS folder). Therefore, no entries will show up in Add/Remove Programs because only the updated binaries are copied over, and those entries are only added by the actual installer for each hotfix.

What you will see, however, as a confirmation that HFSLIP has slipstreamed the hotfixes is an entry titled simply "HFSLIP Total Slipstream", followed by the version number in parentheses.

The hotfixes that are slipstreamed don't show in Add/Remove Programs. The few updates that are not slipstreamed but installed "normally" during or right after Windows setup (MDAC 2.8 SP1, Malicious Software Removal Tool, etc.) are installed with the /nobackup option. The ghost entry in Add/Remove Programs for the hotfix for MDAC 2.8 SP1 is removed if using HFSLIP 1.4.0 or newer because it can't be uninstalled.

The only Add/Remove Programs entries you should see are for the files you include in HFSVCPACK, HFSVCPACK_SW and HFGUIRUNONCE (like MSI files).

I believe there's also a ghost entry for Internet Explorer 7 if it wasn't slipstreamed but installed at T-13 or at first GUI logon.

Yeah, thats what I was afraid of, this is expected behavior. But still Nirsoft WUL was able to find 64 of the 77 I slipstreamed, I would have though that WUL would be looking in the same place as add/remove, I guess not, still it would be nice if there was some utility to write those value as a last step. Also Belarc see's 63 of them (it was proubably 64). In any not being able to see the updates in add/remove make this a no go for me, bummer, I really like this setup.

Straytoasters

I don't think it's feasible or possible for hotfixes that are slipstreamed. The required registry entries to make these updates appear in Add/Remove Programs are not created by the INF file included in the hotfixes but by their setup program. Also, HFSLIP is meant to be used for any language of Windows so I can't have "Update for Windows XP (KB929969)" shown on a Spanish version of Windows.

For the most part, HFSLIP does what slipstreaming a Service Pack does. You don't see an entry in Add/Remove Programs for the Service Pack when you had it slipstreamed...

That understandable (and the SP2 thing (not showing up if slipstreamed), thats what I realized today before getting back to the boards). I have wanted to try hfslip for a while and now that I have finally gotten around to it I love it, I will proubably continue to use it. Great product, thank you to all contributers.

Straytoasters

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I hate to sound like a whiner, but since the hotfixes/updates slipstreamed dont show up in add/remove, but HFslip does add an entry to there, would it be possible for HFslip to add the HFslip log to the C:\root and put some text in the add/remove entry like "For a list of the updates slipstreamed in look at C:\hfslip.log". Just wondering, thanks.

Straytoasters